Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

Very new to the site and fish keeping :) We had fish tanks at my parents when I was young but had little advice and I have now discovered most of that "advice" was wrong which I have now come to the conclusion is typical from small pet shops. I only have a small 28l tropical tank and I am on my 3rd week of fishless cycling after getting sum fab advice from this site :D. My Amm levels had almost dropped to 0ppm so I have increased the Amm to 4ppm, no nitrites showing as yet, and will do another water test today. I have also increased the tank temp as suggested.

When cycled I am planning on adding some White Mollies and guppies :). I haven't added any live plants yet but have several ornaments. Bit concerned about live plants as a friend added them and ended up with a snail infestation not sure how to wash them to ensure this doesnt happen, any advice would be brill!

Always thought fishkeeping was simple but I am growing to love the complexities of it all and am keen to learn more.

Thanks all

Ruth

hi Ruth, welcome to AA. I just signed up myself today and this is my first post here. just wanted to wish you luck with your tank, hope it all goes well.

cheers,
Brian

Ruth, go fo live plant if you can, I think it finishes the aquarium best and helps the water condition too. Snails... I don't like them either, so I add live plant after it has been in untreated cold tap-water overnight. The snails seem to drop off readily !

Cool I'll try that, think its ok to add plans while fishless cycling

Yes, should be okay, in fact can help it along :)
I would stick to something that can grow easily, so you don't need any fert's. Amazon sword is a good starter plant.

Back
Top Bottom