Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stripes04

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

New to the forum. I have kept many types of fish from both fresh and saltwater types but more experience in freshwater.

I currently have a 20 gallon saltwater tank with 2 baby clownfish and soft corals.
My freshwater tank is around 160 liters and I have that as an African cichlid tank.

I'll be closing both tanks down eventually and working on my current project with my 80 gallon tank. I love the shallow types so when I came across this I felt it would be a really nice upgrade. It measures 48" length x 30" width x 16" height. I will be making this an African Cichlid tank but looking to stock the African Congo Tinanti Cichlids type. I will require for the decoration round smooth rocks with extra flow over the rocks making sort of like stream effect for them.

I don't know what I want to add for the middle and above area but was looking at some rainbow fish as read they also enjoy the currents. Anymore advice or recommendations on fish you feel that will be good for this tank are all welcome. : )

Thanks

For a mature tank you can look into Hillstream Loaches. They have very specific needs including temperatures. Reticulated like a little cooler water.

Cross check all stocking options to make sure their tank, water parameters, temp and tank mates all work together.

Rainbows can cross breed so when you decide, make sure you get some, if you select different colors just make sure they are different genus like Boeseman's Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani) or Millennium Rainbowfish (Glossolepis pseudoincisus) or Madagascar Rainbow (Bedotia geayi) Or different subspecies, so you don't get cross breeds.

Thanks for the heads up on Rainbow fish.

I was looking at this one, from the parameters they can go into higher ph of upto 8 and looking over at fast current sort of tanks fish recommendation threads, these seem to have cropt up in people's suggestions. Hopefully they'll be a good match for my tank.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Boesemani Rainbow

They are one I mentioned above. Great color and very active fish. I have a pair and would have a couple more if I didnt have 2 breeding pair of Angels fighting with every thing that is on "their" respective end of the tank. Getting a solution worked out presently. I am planning on another type too. Looking at the Millenium rainbows and maybe a new variety. Gary Lange will be speaking at our aquarium club meeting june 5 in Denver free from the Colorado Aquarium Club. He is an expert on Rainbows and works with a few others to discover new species.

They are one I mentioned above. Great color and very active fish. I have a pair and would have a couple more if I didnt have 2 breeding pair of Angels fighting with every thing that is on "their" respective end of the tank. Getting a solution worked out presently. I am planning on another type too. Looking at the Millenium rainbows and maybe a new variety. Gary Lange will be speaking at our aquarium club meeting june 5 in Denver free from the Colorado Aquarium Club. He is an expert on Rainbows and works with a few others to discover new species.

Wow. That sounds pretty cool going out trying to discover new fish. Well I'm from the UK and we don't have anything to discover down here really lol not much for fish. It pretty much comes down to importing. We rely on our local fish shops to ask them to import a certain fish we can't get hold of, even then its not always guaranteed.

However we do have a big community of people in the hobby so there is quite a lot of varieties of fish and corals.

Back
Top Bottom