Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lokee1967

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there,
Just one more introduction lol. My name is George, and I've maintained aquariums off and on for several decades. My current aquarium is a 60 gallon community freshwater tank, which I've maintained for going on a year now. I plan, in the next few weeks, to establish a saltwater tank, probably a 60 or 75 gallon, and a 29 gallon cichlid tank.
Anyway, nice "meeting" you, and I look forward to being a participant in this community!
Thanks,
George

Hi George, welcome to the forum :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

After several decades do you still feel like a novice? I suspect this hobby will leave me confounded for many years to come. But I'm up for the challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

After several decades do you still feel like a novice? I suspect this hobby will leave me confounded for many years to come. But I'm up for the challenge!

Oh yes, very much so! I've had the 60 gallon up and running for nearly a year, before that I last had 5 tanks at one time (a 55 gallon oscar tank, a 29 gallon community tank, a 20 gallon community tank, a 10 gallon goldfish tank, and a 10 gallon saltwater tank) about 7 years ago, but yes, I still consider myself a complete novice in the hobby. :) Especially so with the saltwater, since I've only had the one experience with it (had a lovely green brittle star, a cute emerald crab, a peppermint shrimp, and 2 yellow-tailed blue damsel fish in it), but freshwater tanks still confound me from time to time.

About 2 months after I had started the 60 gallon, I had a huge die-off. I knew it had something to do with a couple of gourami I'd added to the tank, but it took me several days of research before I discovered that gourami have a unique virus that sometimes attacks them and that can weaken and kill other species as well. Since then, I've resisted adding gourami to my tank. Ha, and that leads me to another reason I'm a novice - I don't have a quarantine tank. Simply no room for one at the moment!

Thank you all for the welcomes! I'm looking forward to being part of this community as I once more wade out deeper into the hobby!

George
:fish2:

:welcome:

Glad you joined us! I never knew that about a gourami-borne virus. That might lead me to change some future stocking plans... :ermm:

I know what you mean about quarantine tanks. I know I should, but... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom