Hi all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Greetings from the mountains of NC. I recently purchased a 29 gallon setup and I am in the process of cycling. I am using "Stability" to help with the process and after 7 days my water is clear. According to what I've read on this site I should have already started checking ammona etc.... levels, so far I've only tested pH. It is 7.6. I purchased 2 glofish and 2 guppies. I added the guppies 2 days after the danios. So far everything is fine. I have a cascade 150 HOB along with a penquin bio wheel 150 HOB. Am I overdoing it? I only have artificial plants and driftwood features in my tank.

Welcome to the site :)

I'd personally suggest picking up a quality test kit as soon as you can. We mostly recommend the API Master kits here on AA. They'll be vital to have the entire time you keep fish...but especially during cycling. Knowing your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels will be critical during this process.

IMO, I'd also get away from using the Stability, and instead count on doing water changes as necessary to keep ammo and no2 levels as low as possible (preferably below .25) until your tank is cycled. I would also stop adding fish until the process is complete.

Here's a great guide about fish in cycling-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Again, welcome to AA :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the site :)

I'd personally suggest picking up a quality test kit as soon as you can. We mostly recommend the API Master kits here on AA. They'll be vital to have the entire time you keep fish...but especially during cycling. Knowing your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte levels will be critical during this process.

IMO, I'd also get away from using the Stabikity, and instead count on doing water changes as necessary to keep ammo and no2 levels as low as possible (preferably below .25) until your tank is cycled. I would also stop adding fish until the process is complete.

Here's a great guide about fish in cycling-
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Again, welcome to AA :)

I was going to mention the same thing! ... but it always sounds better when Eco23 says it:D.

Hi :) welcome to AA congrats on the new tank ! You'll find some great advice here :)

I'd also mention the best thing you can do between right now and the time you can get the test kit is to do daily 50% water changes to ensure the water quality is good for your fish. While you're out getting a test kit (don't get strips...find a liquid one), also try to pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime to use as your dechlorinator / water conditioner. It is very efficient and also has benefits which will help your fish during the cycling process.

Try to not let the guy at the pet store talk you into any chemicals. The only things you need for a healthy aquarium is a bucket, a bottle of water conditioner and a good test kit :)

Thanks so much, I've been given so much advise from so many different sources and it's quite confusing. I hope I don't offend anyone, but the big box pet store associates have steered me wrong on several issues. I hope that I can get the advice I need on this site to help me out.

Thanks so much, I've been given so much advise from so many different sources and it's quite confusing. I hope I don't offend anyone, but the big box pet store associates have steered me wrong on several issues. I hope that I can get the advice I need on this site to help me out.

You'll get honest advise here ... we don't have a financial stake in your tank, just want to hear about happy, healthy fish and owners enjoying the hobby.(y)

Reygan2 said:

You are totally right! I felt the same way when I started but you'll learn what works best for you

Back
Top Bottom