Hi all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

perick

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a new memeber to the forum and fairly new to the world of aquariums and ponds.

I started my first aquarium about 18 months ago, a 90 gallon freshwater community tank. I've made a few mistakes and unfortuantely, this harmed a few fish. I feel bad about this, but they were innocent enough mistakes and I did seek advice from pet stores before proceeding.

The first mistake was introducing live plants from a very respected store. They had some sort of harmful bacteria and snail eggs. Yikes, what a mess.

I now have the 90 gallon with 5 Het Rasboras, 2 Angelicus Botia, 1 Pea Puffer, 5 Julii Corys, 5 Black Neons, usually 11 Neon Tetras (they are in a hospitable tank right now), 8 Clown Plecos (4 born in the tank), 4 Bristlenose Plecos, 5 or so Coolie Loaches (these guys burrow, so hard to keep track), 1 Dwarf Gourami (had 2 one mysteriously died without any previous symptoms). I run a Eheim 2217 Classic on this tank and 4 ft Marineland Double Bright LED. Both work awesome.

Have purchased 2 10 gallon tanks. Started with one as a hospital tank. It wasn't getting used, so bought a divider and a male Betta for one side and a male Crown-tail Betta for the other. Have since added a Clown Pleco to each side (more born in the 90 gallon). I run a Peguin Powerwheel filter intended for a 20 gallon on it. I like to have more filtration than needed.

Of course, after converting it from a hospital tank is when the trouble in the 90 gallon started, so i bought another 10 gallon that is and will continue to be a hospital tank.

About 12 months ago I inherited a 70 gallon tank with an 18" 4 year old Pleco and 2 Giant Danios. Other than feeding and maintenance I haven't done anything with this.

We have a 1500 gallon pond in the backyard with a waterfall. Running a couple of "Skippy" filters and another pump to fill out the waterfall. The pond was rebuilty last summer/fall, so this is the first full year. Stocked it with about 50 goldfish and they look excellent and are growing like crazy. The pond is deep enough to over-winter despite occassional -40 degree F days. it is about 5' deep in the a 4' x 4' area.

Lastly, have a 70 gallon wood holding aquarium in the basement. About 20 of the gold fish now in the pond spent last winter in it until I was certain that they could remain healthy in the pond over winter. Now it holds 5 fancy goldfish.

Well, that's about it. I hope that participating in this forum will help me to be a better fish keeper.

Back
Top Bottom