Hi all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STANNY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been registered here a while and read loads and loads, so thought it was time to post a bit about me and my first/new tank.
Im Damien, im a self employed Electrician from Leeds, UK. I've always had a bit an interest in fish, sea life and the like, and have wanted an aquarium for years. Apart from owning goldfish as a child after winning one at a fair, I have never had the time, money or space for one.
A couple of months ago while shopping for things for my house with my partner we stumbled across a local aquarist in a garden centre. While there admiring the fish we managed to talk ourselves into finally buying a tank. So I ordered the Juwel Rio 125, and picked it up a week later. During that week waiting, I read and read and read loads loads more. About loads of fish, advice on choosing fish, on tank maintenance and of course on cycling. Despite the aquarist telling me I could add fish a week later I went with the fishless cycling route, following the cycling with shrimp guide. Within 3 weeks my tank was cycled.
I went to a different lfs to buy my first fish. 10 Neon Tetra and 4 Black Tetra, starting cheap and easy. They appear to be very happy and i love watching them.
Last weekend in another lfs I spotted a fish I just had to add to my tank. The electric blue ram, they looked awesome. So aggressive looking but yet so cheeky and sociable. I'd seen Golden Ram and German Blue Ram, but these looked so much more special. I went home and read as much as I could about them. Despite some conflicting information on how to keep them and some reports that they are difficult fish to keep, I am absolutely positive I can, and absolutely determined to keep them happy. So on monday, straight after work I called in and picked 2 young ones out. They are currently swimming around in my tank, under my DIY blue nighttime led lights, happy as larry, looking cool.
Loving the experience so far, and i'll get some pics up soon. My phone is out of order at the min, but when its up and running i'll sort them.

:welcome: to AA! We hope you keep enjoying the site like it sounds you've been doing. Research is one probably the biggest key factor in keeping aquatic animals and I'm so happy to see that your doing it, it will pay off. Can't wait to see some pics, sounds nice :)

Really need to learn how to take pics of fish. Im not having much luck. Ive probably got one half decent shot. Maybe tomorrow under the proper lighting instead of the led's ill have better look. Here they are anyway.

Attachments

• DSCF0415s.jpg
    DSCF0415s.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0406.JPG
    DSCF0406.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0410s.jpg
    DSCF0410s.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF0408s.jpg
    DSCF0408s.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 61
Seems i can only attatch four images to each post, and it wont let me link to images stored elswhere, anyway here are a couple more night shots. Ill get some day shots up tomorrow, after ive practiced taking photos.

Attachments

• DSCF0422s.jpg
    DSCF0422s.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0418s.jpg
    DSCF0418s.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0421s.jpg
    DSCF0421s.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 63
I just picked up my first electric blue yesterday! Im glad you're as pumped as I am about them! Can wait to see more pics

Back
Top Bottom