Hi all and a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaya10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a question about fishless cycling using fish food. I have added some fish food to my fishless planted tank (plants and driftwood) (about 70liters, sponge filter, gravel and heater). A day later I found some fungi-like white growth around each food flake that sunk to the bottom and on my filter. I can see them very clearly cause my gravel is black. The growth looks radiated and it is clearly around the individual food flakes. My question is:does anybody know what this is? is it ok? or do I have some kind of fungi infection I should be removing? I would really like to do this right so would appriciate advice from you guys. Thanks

The food has fungus on it. this is natural. The problem with adding food, or a shrimp to help cycle is there is a time lag while the food rots and the bacteria create ammonia. If you add liquid ammonia it is there immediately. As well, with a planted tank (or tank with some plants) the plants will use up the ammonia products so you may not notice the cycle as clearly.

Thanks for your reply. I'll keep an eye on the ammonia and hopefully the cycle will settle soon.

Crush up your food to make sure there is more surface area for the ammonia to dissipate from the food.

Back
Top Bottom