Hi All, I'm a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayyablho

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up my 10 gallon tank with :

2 qourami (unknown gender)
2 white mollies (female)
1 black molly (female)
1 Dalmation Sailfin molly (female)
1 red swordtail (male)

I have been looking around in the forum and decided to join. I´m looking forward to learn a lot! it appears that I'm in the right place.

thanks.

How long was it set up before you added the fish? Is it cycled? What is your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

Look around for a getting started tank article to help you learn about tank cycling, or private message me, and i will send you the information i share about tank set up and the science behind it.

Welcome to the community! Come back often and ask lots of questions

A word of warming, gourami are beautiful, but the can be aggressive and territorial. Ten gal is on the small side for one Gourami, and you have two plus your live bearers. So, be aware that you are going to have some fin nipping, and possibly some problems associated with that.

using :-
-submersible powerhead filter (650 L/H)
-live plants (Elodea Densa)
-black and white gravel
and don't know about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels is it really important ?!!

Hi, new here to the forum as well, but not new to the hobby.

Buy yourself a good water testing kit. Testing your water is very important for the health of your fish.
API Freshwater Master Kit has worked great for me.
When testing for your Nitrates though, be very careful to follow their instructions. Also, NO3 bottle #2, when first using it, tap it on a hard surface, breaking up the components that do get stuck to the bottom of the bottle, for about a minute, then shake vigorously for another minute. They do have reports of false readings due to the issue with bottle #2.

I recently set up my 10 gallon tank with :

2 qourami (unknown gender)
2 white mollies (female)
1 black molly (female)
1 Dalmation Sailfin molly (female)
1 red swordtail (male)

I have been looking around in the forum and decided to join. I´m looking forward to learn a lot! it appears that I'm in the right place.

thanks.

Your tank is very overstocked. Gourami ( males ) will nip and fight a bit at each other. So the ratio of male to female must be 1:2. So if its 2 males you have in there, you may have some future problems. Also, the mollies are a major concern right now. Many people think they only grow to around 3" max but they will eventually grow to 5". So just the 4, 5" mollies in a 10 gal is very overstocked.

using :-
-submersible powerhead filter (650 L/H)
-live plants (Elodea Densa)
-black and white gravel
and don't know about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels is it really important ?!!

Yes. The levels are definitely very important. They will tell you if the tank water is safe for fish or not. Spikes in the levels can kill fish so a test kit is very important as well.

Back
Top Bottom