hi all new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nubreefer24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all im new here. looking forward to learning a lot from all of you who share the same interest as i do. ive only been in the reef hobby for about 6-7 months or so. im still a novice by far and have plenty to learn im sure. i always ask questions and try to learn as much as i can about this. as you all will see in the future im sure. currently im running a 29 reef tank that is 6 months young, that has had plenty of issues for a newbie like my self. but im gettin the hang of it and its doing fairly decent now i believe. currently like i said its a 29 gallon long, with only 1 fish (for now) that is a dwarf hawkfish (falco), with a few small frags of zoas, star polyps, and 1 mushroom polyp that is growing very well. tank has about 35 pounds or so of jakarta live rock, about 4 turbo snails, 2 astrea snails, 6 sand sifting snails, 1 sand sifting start (about 4 inches long), about 6 blue leg hermits, 2 red leg hermits. adding more corals within the next 2-3 months, and after that will be adding a couple more fish, not sure of species as of yet. still deciding. as far as equipment im runing T5 HO dual bulb, 1 marine glow, 1 power glow bulb, 1 hydora 2 power head, 1 rio+50, 1 rio+90, filter im using a fluval 305 canister filter cleaned weekly, with filter pads, bio media, and activated carbon, 1 sea clone protein skimmer rated at 100 gallons, and as far as live sand bottom im using 15 pounds carib live sand, and 15 pounds carib crushed argonite on the bottom with sand on top. upgrading lighting soon to 2 t5 HO light fixtures. adding a refugium soon with a 10 gallon tank i have laying down. still trying to plan the build of it though. got 3 baffles in it already with 1 1/2 in spacing. going to be ording a cpr 50 overflow box and still trying to figure out which return pump and whether or not im going to use clear flex tubing or white pvc pipe. still considering though :). gotta move very slow as im having my 1st baby on the way and the wife needs to approve of my spending :(.

also working on my 1st 14 gallon biocube that i just got yesterday waiting for salinity to be within range, got 15 pounds of live sand and about 8 pounds or crushed argonite ill be adding to it as well. picking up 10 pounds live rock in the next 2 weeks then another 10 pounds 2 weeks after that. not sure of stock or corals as of yet. as i am taking it very slow on this one. unfortunately with the first i rushed into it and overstocked then had problems with hitch hicking gorilla crabs on steriods. found about 5 at first then got em and killed em, then nothing for about 3 months then found fish missing and ended up finding another 5-6 and a few babies which i felt like gettin rid of with extreme prejudice and i did lol. so will post pics soon and keep you all posted :) any thoughts or comments on either build or ideas for either reef tank please feel free to let me know. constructive criticism is always welcomed here. so feel free. as i said i have lots to learn and am willing to take advice to better my abilities and further my learning and enjoyment of this hobby that we share. thank you all and hope to have fun reefing with you all :)

Keith

Welcome to AA! Take good care of your wife. She's the one with the check book. :)

thank you all :) yes im having loads of fun. i love my tank. have had many problems with it. but i have over come through lots of information from all over the web and questions that i ask. but its my tank is doing well now. looking for some more additions to my tank. so far as far as fish i only have 1 dwarf falco hawkfish at about 2 inches. hes really a cool fish. my wife named him falco and had no clue that was the kinda fish it was. shes funny like that. :) and oh yes she give me the final go or no go on all my purchases hehe. but i still love her. got a baby on the way to due sept 2nd. so for my first fathers day i got a 14 gallon bio cube. got 2 1/2 in sand bad with 3/4 inch crushed coral bed on top. looking to pick up about 10 pounds live rock this friday and another 10-13 pounds two weeks after that. and let it cycle. wanna add cuc first then corals and fish last, only gettin 1 clown maybe, and 1 other not sure what but a watchman goby sounds good but not too positive yet. still thinking. any ideas for corals? or other small fish? any info would be great. thank you all ahead :)

Welcome to AA! :)

You wouldn't happen to be involved in the sub service would you? I ask because of your SN.

I think you made a mistake by putting in the crushed coral layer on top of your sand. This will make it hard for the CUC to do their job and will turn into a Nitrate factory. Other then that I see no problems with your setup. Either way your fish selection is fine. Get something you and your wife will enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom