Hi all, new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jad2411

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to say hi, I have a 10 gl tank, it's been setup for ~5 years.
At first I had various semi-agressive fish, and a pleco, until pleco became so big it killed the rest just by swiming (or trying to) around. I gave him away and started with just barbs, but it was hard to introduce new fish, so I stopped re-stocking until all had died.
So now I have 3 mollies and will be adding a couple more :)

The reason I joined, is because I recently bartered a 50-55gl tank, with some accessories and I wanted to get ideas on what to do with it.
I'll be staying with fresh water as I don't have the time or money to keep a salt water one.

Just wanted to say hi, I have a 10 gl tank, it's been setup for ~5 years.
At first I had various semi-agressive fish, and a pleco, until pleco became so big it killed the rest just by swiming (or trying to) around. I gave him away and started with just barbs, but it was hard to introduce new fish, so I stopped re-stocking until all had died.
So now I have 3 mollies and will be adding a couple more :)

The reason I joined, is because I recently bartered a 50-55gl tank, with some accessories and I wanted to get ideas on what to do with it.
I'll be staying with fresh water as I don't have the time or money to keep a salt water one.

:welcome:to AA

How about considering going back to Barbs? I love them and in a 50-55 gal you can get a nice size shoal of various types.

First, before you consider stocking, have you heard of fishless cycling? =] It will save you money and deaths in the long run and create a happier home for your fish.

Also, if I may offer this advice, mollies are really not suitable for a 10 gallon tank. They are sold at 2 inches, yes, but their adult size is 5+ and they have an extremely messy bioload. Even 2 mollies is pushing it for a 10 gallon... if you don't plan to upgrade, I would not add any more.

On that note, though, you could easily use your new 55 for a livebearer tank! You could move your mollies in there and mix them with all sorts of community fish. Your problem with stocking would be solved, and you could use your ten gallon for a whole bunch of things, including a school of microfish or a betta or a pair of shell-dwelling cichlids!

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, yes I know I have to cycle the tank before putting fish in it, I have always done that in the 10gl tank; so maybe I can keep the mollies there while they are small and move them to the bigger one later on

I still haven't decided where to put the bigger tank, that's one of the reasons I'm here to look at other people's setups and get some ideas for mine

Hey and welcome to AA. Everytime I see that I want to say " Hi my names Ickletas and I'm an aquaholic" lol! Maybe I should make that my tag :D

One of my mollies died yesterday, water got too hot :S
Gonna have to read on how to keep it cool, this is the 2nd time it happens...

Back
Top Bottom