Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If anyone knows about blue tetras, would you mind checking out my thread called 'tetras with lumpy bellies'.
Lots of people posting here, but none on that thread.
Cheers! Sasha

Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No - unfortunately I am rather a cichlid person I however find tetras charming. If you plan angel fish I could advise you something too

With my best wishes
Tomasz

Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I could fit angels or cichlids in a 10 gallon tank with five tetras and two corydoras without them eating anyone I would
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #14

Hmm.. by blue tetra you mean: Cochu's blue tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
In most cases it is more beneficial to use latin names aside from the common ones in order to avoid ambiguation. Yes I know something about those ;>
They need a soft water with kH @ max 15 so it is better to purchase some kH and gH tests at your suppliers.
They prefer more acidic water so pH around 6.5 - 7.0 where 7.0 is alkaline.
In their natural habitat there might be plenty of tanine (released by trees' roots) in the water. As they come from Amazon rriver basin - I know a lot about there It does not have to be a specific genus though Behaviourally I do not know as for keeping conditions sure... ask
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

oh to keep pH on a lower level than 7.0 you mith need to purchase another tests (pH) and pH down drops which contain amongst others phosphorous.
I recently invested in 25 6 in one tests. The kH level is as far as I remember responsibble for stability of pH. So in general is hard to decrease pH of highly mineralised (hard) water. 6.5pH should not make other - alkaline (7.0) fish very unhappy. In such an application an external - fluvial filtration might be easier to set-up

Cheers
Tomasz
-----
edit:
Oh.. 'Twas on tetras, while they according to what I found, originate in Amazon river basin. And I actually am quite familiar with habitat there Ask then while I now about reproding it and finding a compromise between amazon and tanganyika lake in one tank which is going to disqualify few specimen but would allow me for others ;>
Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies86 View Post
If I could fit angels or cichlids in a 10 gallon tank with five tetras and two corydoras without them eating anyone I would
Well - you have a tank I had when I was 14 then Not certain about the coexistence of angel fish with tetras but with danios it was okay.
Those days I had in my 10 gal tank:
Siamese fighting fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 1 male
Angelfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 1 not sure of its orientation but was a water snail killer
Neolamprologus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - a couple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discus_(fish) - two of them
Piel - 2 of them

few danios; dwarf frogs and

one Zbrojnik niebieski .

Everything was living in a perfect harmony. Those days I did not know about many parameters of water but chlorine and pH and I was picking the water from a natural forest spring not from the tap and was fully changing water fortnightly. It might explain the success, no deaths and reproduction - like all together 500 hundred of alive and not eaten progeny of brichardiis and discus fish

With my best wishes
-
Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com