Hi everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello! I'm new here (obviously ;) )
My fiancé and I have wanted fish for a while and decided to get a tank at Christmas. We are now completely and utterly hooked :) we could do with lots of advice now though, and this site is fantastic!
Looking forward to many posts!

Welcome, your going to love it here. A lot of knowledge on this site.

Welcome to the forum :) 'Tis my second day in hither... You might find ntroductory post under the 'Dia dhuit from Eire' thread ;)
On next Saturn's day I am introducing first fish :D :D :D

With my best wishes
Tomasz

Aw! How exciting! What fish are you adding? We've got seven fish at the moment, but added them before learning about cycling. Oops :/ looking forward to talking to everyone on here :)
Thanks for replying :) Tomasz? That's Polish isn't it?
Is this your first tank or have you had them before?
Sasha

Nu da privet Alexandr ;) I hope I have not mistaken the diminitions :D Yup 'tis polish version of ye Irish Tomas :) And yup I am Polish...
Welll.. I have not forgotten about cycling while it is not my first tank at all but first in last 10 yrs...
On satturday my wife and I are going tointroduce at first:
Ancistrus temminckii, the Bristlenose pleco with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

Then week later, while we have already ordered them:
Fairy Cichlid, Neolamprologus brichardi Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish - family of 9

and

Discus Cichlid Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish - after 2 days

As you can notice there hardly is an overlap in pH and dH parameters. However successful keeping of both is possible (however tricky) as I have done this before. I shall have to replace 1/3rd of water in the tank with distilled water than reduce acidity by 0.7 in two days (0.35 per day ;)

With my best wishes
Tomasz & Barbara

Dzien dobry :) (hope I spelt that right :) ) I don't know what 'nu da privet' means :/
And I'm just Sasha :) I would be Alexandra tho, not Alexander.
Liking the sound of your fish! Hope you'll be putting up lots if pictures.
Sasha

If anyone knows about blue tetras, would you mind checking out my thread called 'tetras with lumpy bellies'.
Lots of people posting here, but none on that thread.
Cheers! Sasha

No - unfortunately I am rather a cichlid person :( I however find tetras charming. If you plan angel fish I could advise you something too ;)

With my best wishes
Tomasz

If I could fit angels or cichlids in a 10 gallon tank with five tetras and two corydoras without them eating anyone I would :)

Hmm.. by blue tetra you mean: Cochu's blue tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
In most cases it is more beneficial to use latin names aside from the common ones in order to avoid ambiguation. Yes I know something about those ;>
They need a soft water with kH @ max 15 so it is better to purchase some kH and gH tests at your suppliers.
They prefer more acidic water so pH around 6.5 - 7.0 where 7.0 is alkaline.
In their natural habitat there might be plenty of tanine (released by trees' roots) in the water. As they come from Amazon rriver basin - I know a lot about there ;) It does not have to be a specific genus though :) Behaviourally I do not know as for keeping conditions sure... ask :)

oh to keep pH on a lower level than 7.0 you mith need to purchase another tests (pH) and pH down drops which contain amongst others phosphorous.
I recently invested in 25 6 in one tests. The kH level is as far as I remember responsibble for stability of pH. So in general is hard to decrease pH of highly mineralised (hard) water. 6.5pH should not make other - alkaline (7.0) fish very unhappy. In such an application an external - fluvial filtration might be easier to set-up ;)

Cheers
Tomasz
-----
edit:
Oh.. 'Twas on tetras, while they according to what I found, originate in Amazon river basin. And I actually am quite familiar with habitat there :) Ask then while I now about reproding it and finding a compromise between amazon and tanganyika lake in one tank which is going to disqualify few specimen but would allow me for others ;>

Last edited:
If I could fit angels or cichlids in a 10 gallon tank with five tetras and two corydoras without them eating anyone I would :)

Well - you have a tank I had when I was 14 then :) Not certain about the coexistence of angel fish with tetras but with danios it was okay.
Those days I had in my 10 gal tank:
Siamese fighting fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 1 male
Angelfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - 1 not sure of its orientation but was a water snail killer
Neolamprologus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - a couple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discus_(fish) - two of them
Piel - 2 of them

few danios; dwarf frogs and

one Zbrojnik niebieski .

Everything was living in a perfect harmony. Those days I did not know about many parameters of water but chlorine and pH and I was picking the water from a natural forest spring not from the tap and was fully changing water fortnightly. It might explain the success, no deaths and reproduction - like all together 500 hundred of alive and not eaten progeny of brichardiis and discus fish :D

With my best wishes
-

Back
Top Bottom