Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't had apple snailes but I think nerite snails are just awesome, have you looked into them? They come in lots of cool paterns and with horns and they are plants safe and, best of all, they don't reproduce in freshwater MTS(Malaysian Trumpet Snails) are really cool too. They burrow in the substrate and help keep it clean. I keep both in all my tanks.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondoe View Post
Thanks Wendi, i've already done a bit of research on the blue lobster. Alot of people have said to keep crayfish in seperate tanks. Apparently they are very vicious, and will try to eat almost everything. But on some occasions the blue lobtser is oik for a community tank. But i think i rather not take the risk the snails i've not looked into yet. i will be doing all my own research but any help would be great. It's good to get more points of view that way i can make better judgment of what i need to do my priority in choosing fish is to make sure they will all be safe, It's probably better for me to start of with hardy fish and as i get more experience i can introduce more fragile fish to my tank.
I've been keeping fish for 7 years and I still go for the hardy easy care fish.
This all got started for my grandson when he was 4. We had recently found out that he has Aspergers Syndrome. So I started a 10 g tank in his bedroom. Tanks can be so tranquil so we figured it would help him fall asleep and help keep the nightmares away. It did do all that, the only problem was, the first fish we had was given to me by a blood lab. They didn't know what it was and neither did I. It turned out to be a Common Pleco, OOPS, 10g would never be enough. So we bought a used 55g.
Turned out that we all love having fish around, so now we have 4 tanks. But I've done all the work and research so far.
We still have to stay with the hardier fish easy to care for fish. Casey doesn't handle it very well when a fish gets sick or dies. Neither do I, but his Aspergers causes him to have a very strong emotional reaction. So we try to avoid it by sticking with sturdier fish, it cuts down on the losses. There are some deaths you can't prevent. We just work through it with him. And we have our first fish, the Pleco we had named Eddie Fisher, buried in the back yard with a headstone.
I couldn't bring myself to just throw him away, so to help Casey, and me, we had a fish funeral.
Now that Casey is 10, he is helping me take care of them and I'm teaching him about caring for the fish and tank maintenance. He just learned about cycling a tank, the how's and whys of it all. Now I'm trying to teach him about the testing, but it's not going real well. He is having a hard time with good and bad bacteria and that the good is bad if it gets to high and what all the colors mean. As I write it I can understand his confusion. But he is only 10, we have time for it all.
I think the Snails with the Lobster would be a bad idea. But as long as all the fish you do get are very fast & active, it would work.
I was doing some reading and it was mentioned that the Odessa Barbs are hardier than the Tiger Barbs. But I'd need to read more before I'd recommend them. I'll let you know.
Talk at you later.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
My blue lobster is still a juvie and he spends his entire day trying to attack anyone that comes near his tank so I can't imagine having him in a community lol. I keep CPO's in a community tank and they are just adorable. Little dwarf crays that don't seem to bother anyone. I have an albino rainbow shark and what I can tell you about them is if you add new fish and they are getting aggressive re-arrange your tank plants and decor. This sort of levels the playing field and destroys old established territories. My shark started out as the first fish in a tank and was highly aggressive when more fish were added. I would re-arrange and he would be fine. He'd still chase a bit but never hurt anyone. Now I added him last to his new tank and he's as peaceful as could be. I haven't even seen him chase anyone out of his new spot. In my experience they are territorial but not violent. Some are more aggressive than others though, you never know what you're going to get!
I periodically rearrange my African Cichlid tank. It really does cut down on the territorial battles.
Given what you say about your Blue Lobster I'd say a community would be a very bad idea, a disaster even.
It also sounds like Kondoe should get all the fish he want to put in first, then add his Rainbow Shark.
Thank you, I think this will be very helpful.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Ya...I'm 24, and I'm a college graduate, and the cycling is STILL confusing I think it's great that you found something that helps him...and not only that but you found something that you all can enjoy together!!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

[QUOTE=Joyler;1251101]Ya...I'm 24, and I'm a college graduate, and the cycling is STILL confusing I think it's great that you found something that helps him...and not only that but you found something that you all can enjoy together!![/QUOTE]
Hi Joyler,
Thanks, it's always nice to hear we may be doing something right by him. He's a great kid and really smart, and I love doing the fish stuff with him.
he gets the basics about cycling. but when it comes to the amount of the different chemicals he gets lost.
He'll be very happy to know that he's not alone in his confusion.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay lobster can be erased from the list and adding the rainbow shark last sounds like a good idea too. I will look into the nerite snails and MTS they sound great. my only concern is that if i have too many fish and snails at the bottom of the tank would it cause problems. I'm sure i read somewhere that rainbow shark tend to hang about the bottom of the tank as do plecs.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondoe View Post
Okay lobster can be erased from the list and adding the rainbow shark last sounds like a good idea too. I will look into the nerite snails and MTS they sound great. my only concern is that if i have too many fish and snails at the bottom of the tank would it cause problems. I'm sure i read somewhere that rainbow shark tend to hang about the bottom of the tank as do plecs.
Me again,
I did some reading on Rainbow behavior. They are very active and don't get along with much. They will kill anyone smaller and harass the larger unless the larger are tougher. They only mentioned Plecos and non Dwarf Gouramis.
With the Plecos you have many to choose from. With the Gouramis, not so much. But there is some good news here. Plecos hang around the bottom, even when swimming. Gouramis are direct air breathers so they hang around the surface all the time. And your Rainbow Shark, it swims a lot in the mid ranges of the tank. Which means none of them share they same space. And your tank will have fish inhabiting all three levels of the tank. Something interesting to watch no matter where you look, it's a good thing.
As long as you have lots of shorter bushy plant around the bottom to cover the them, the Shark may not notice the Snails. He will leave the Pleco alone too, so no worries there.
And as long as the Gouramis stay in their territory, which they rarely swim very low, then the Rainbow will leave them alone .
As for all the others, I don't think they'll stand much of a chance with the Shark, I'm afraid.
But like I said, there are many beautiful Plecos to chose from. When the large ones reach their 18-24" they are fairly spectacular to watch glide around.
The Gouramis are also gliders when they swim. Now I've been able to find 5 different Gouramis that are hardy, easy care, good for beginners, and their water parameters are wide and similar. I'll post a pic. of each for you to see.
the only thing with Gouramis is you can only have 1 male each. If you have more than 1 of each male they will fight each other. But if you get 1 male from each of the 5 they'll be fine, or so all the literature says.
I found the Pearl Gourami at www.fishlore.com/profilepearlgourami.htm .
The Gold, Blue, Opaline, and Blue Paradise Gourami are at www.liveaquaria.com . I couldn't fit the Paradise Gourami but you can see him at liveaquaria.
Personally I love the Pearl Gourami, it's my favorite of all the Gourami.
Right to left, top to bottom, is the Pearl, Gold, Blue, Opaline Gourami.
I hope you like them, I did my best to find what would work.
Talk at you later.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

My rainbow shark is a gentle giant. Actually you have to be somewhat close to his size to even get on his radar. He won't give a second look to platy fry or baby shrimp. He's never hurt a soul. Even in his most territorial phases he would only chase. I don't know maybe I shouldn't say because I only have the one but, I think maybe they have been given a bad rep unfairly. They are mostly vegetarians so they don't desire to eat other fish. They'd rather have a nice slice of cucumber any day 8) The nerites will be all over your tank cleaning any bit of algea they can find...rarely on the bottom. The MTS burrow in so, depending on how many you have you may not see them much. My rainbow has no idea the snails exsist...lol
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular

it sounds like it depends on what fish you get, you might get the bully you might get the geek
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

i've now ordered the tank and will take about 10 days to get here. its 107 gallon 1.5metres long 0.5 metres wide and 0.65 metres high. I feel like a five year old whos about to have a birthday party im so excited

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com