Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

wow they look realy cool. I especially like that last one blue and yellow . and the tank pic you posted earlier looks amazing. I want a similar setup to that pic except i want some taller thin plants aswell.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

many things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondoe View Post
wow they look really cool. I especially like that last one blue and yellow . and the tank pic you posted earlier looks amazing. I want a similar setup to that pic except i want some taller thin plants aswell.
I had a feeling you'd really like hdultra's 220g tank and what she did with the lighting.
I've never really liked the plain gray rock that you see in many African Cichlid tanks, but I love hers.
She actually did that whole build with a broken leg. Including going out and getting the real river rocks. You may want to read some of her 220g tank build thread. There is a lot of good info on a large build. Since you want real rocks she put some stuff on the bottom of the tank to protect the glass in case of falling rocks. The last thing you want is a leak on the bottom of your tank from an accidental rock drop.
I checked on the LED lights and I was surprised how inexpensive it was to set up. The hub is only $16.99 and they had 2 prices, $9.29 for the smaller one and $15.99 for the other. They come in Blue or Green or Red or White. No clue how they work.
There was also couple of things called Moonlight Aerators. Which sounds cool at first, until you read about them.
Turns out that even though they are under water they make a lot of noise. They constantly suck up gravel, so your pulling them out of the tank and taking them apart, trying to shake the gravel out. So, Moonlight Aerators, bad idea.
Last thing, how tall is your tank? I saw some very cool 24" tall slender plants. They also had a fake Bamboo that was 12"tall also slender with nice small leaves. There was also a Corkscrew & red Ludwigia that was pretty.
I'm trying to figure out how to describe these plants that are like you said you wanted. but because your a guy I'm trying to avoid words like pretty and elegant or beautiful. But these are plants and fish and they are pretty and elegant. I almost wrote dainty about one of them. While in my head I'm seeing you go, DAINTY IS SHE FOR REAL? she's telling me I should get a dainty tree for my Shark tank.
It's just that aesthetically the plants I saw would work well against the back wall of your tank. Kind of reed like so they would move with the water.
So what words should I never use while describing something that looks great and you'd probably like it? But, because I described it in such a girly way that you never even bother to check it out because I made it sound just way to fru fru for you.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Regular

dont worry you can use any girly words you like i have two younger sisters im used to it all and understand them very well

But you got it spot on for what im looking for reed type stuff, i will be getting some with big leaves aswell a nice mix basicly. i will check out the plants you mentioned and the LED lights great price theres loads of places here doing lights and stuff but im not sure how well they work in water ill have to ask around and the tank is 65cm tall
Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

i looked up the plants you mentioned on google and they are perfect. and the idea of bamboo is superb i didn't think of that, would look realy good thankyou
Old 03-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondoe
i looked up the plants you mentioned on google and they are perfect. and the idea of bamboo is superb i didn't think of that, would look realy good thankyou
You should keep in mind that bamboo is not a true aquatic plant. The stalk will do OK in the water, but the leaves will rot and foul your water. Go to plantgeek.net and there is a wealth of info on aquatic plants (and false aquatics too).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium
Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
You should keep in mind that bamboo is not a true aquatic plant. The stalk will do OK in the water, but the leaves will rot and foul your water. Go to plantgeek.net and there is a wealth of info on aquatic plants (and false aquatics too).

thanks for the heads up Mr. Limpet. I will try and find fake bamboo anyway but, i probably would have gone a bought the real stuff and chucked it in the tank
Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondoe

thanks for the heads up Mr. Limpet. I will try and find fake bamboo anyway but, i probably would have gone a bought the real stuff and chucked it in the tank
My local petco tries to sell it and it's rotting in their display stand, unsold :P.

If you really want it and your tank is open topped (partial?), don't be afraid to go to a good garden center and see what they have. Semi aquatics are neat to have if you plant/treat them correctly.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Regular

my tank will be closed completely so won't be able to get any semi-aquatic plants. i could try cutting the lid but i would most probably ruin the whole thing
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondoe View Post
my tank will be closed completely so won't be able to get any semi-aquatic plants. i could try cutting the lid but i would most probably ruin the whole thing
Hi Kondoe,
Been out of touch for a few days. But, I thought you were going to go with artificial plants? The Bamboo that I saw that I thought would work for you was fake, but cute. It was of course on www.bigalsonline.com. I've found several plants and rocks and other things for you to look at, to get an idea of whats available and what you really like.
I've never been able to do anything half way so I have around 50 pictures of the plants ans rocks and caverns and a terrace.
But I don't think anyone here on AA wants to look through that stuff on a thread. So I'm going to put them in an Album on my personal info page.That way you can go look at the things I found to give you ideas for you tank at your own convenience.
I'm going to send you a PM with the details.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com