Hi everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom-tom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi just joined here because I'm just starting my first salt water aquarium, I've been a avid freshwater keeper for about 4 years, and I've been pretty successful breading red Texas cichlids and convicts, and I've now taken the dive and brought a 60 gallon tank to start my salt water aquarium, I've been reading a lot of books about it and the problem is their advice differs so much, so here I am :)

As I say I've got a 60 gallon fluvial Roma, v2 300 protein skimmer, v3 uv steriliser, fx5 canister filter (filters up to 1500 litres), 2 powerheads, 2 wave makers, 300w heater, and I think it's called a aqua life lighting unit it's got 4 tubes in it, 2 blue and 2 White, hydrometer, various test kits

Just after a bit of advice on what media to put in the filter?

how to set the power heads, as in does one fire to the right for half a day and then the other firing to the left?

Sand, what's the best to use? Live?

Thanks, sorry to waffle on

Regards Tom

Get rid of the hydrometer and get a refractometer.
Set the power heads on opposite sides as you stated, or on the back corner walls pointing to the front center, making a X pattern
Get dry aragonite based sand. It will become live over time. For rock you can use 80% base rock and 20% LR.

welcometoaa.gif

Thanks for the advice :)

Just one more question, what media is the best to put in my canister filter? Active carbon and biological? With the filter pads?

Back
Top Bottom