Hi Everyone :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princess_harora

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a baby betta from petco about a month ago. My fish was extremely tiny when I first bought it. It looked about 4-5 weeks old. So by my calculation, it is about 9 weeks old right now.

My fish is still very young and is quite tiny (about an inch including the fin). I chose it because it was absolutely adorable, very active, and had a hint of maroon on it. I fell in love. When I first bought it, everyone thought it was female but actually it's a dude! A beautiful one at that!

I am a newbie to this and bought a tiny tiny tank (40 ounces) for the lil guy. I'm thinking of getting a larger tank in a month or so. I know that many of you will feel like I am torturing him by keeping him in such a tiny area but
believe me, he's a very happy little guy! I spoil him silly with attention and his diet consists of baby betta pellets, freeze-dried bloodworms, and peas (once a week). Yum!

I have should joined ur guy's site just to have a place to refer to if I ever need help with my betta. I know we have some serious experts here! :dance:

So you got a wonderful discount as well!! Good score!! I'm wondering the same thing about my tiny itty bitty purple "female" beta... All my other females zebra out when placed near males, all this one does is go horizontal white and black stripes, which means stress. I bought her at petsmart, and I honestly think that it is a purple short finned male. I keep a few of mine in small decorative containers, others in larger hexagonals, I'm getting my fully planted 40g ready for them, I have eight (4 male 4 female, supposedly) and I have partitions for 4 pairs. Love to see pics of the cutie. All that and welcome aboard (y)

Congrats on your Betta. I don't know how old they have to be but the females will have a white dot on their underside between their fins. I've read that many times they can be sexed wrong. I saw some babies at the store the last time I was there & they were so itty bitty, the cups were actually just labeled as baby Betta, no type & no sex. I may get one more female but am not sure yet. I don't like keeping them in the smaller containers & I have limited space for more aquariums as much as I love them.

I will def post a pic! So proud of my little guy! :)

Shellieca: That's exactly how I came across my betta. No gender. No nothing. Just a baby betta. I can't wait for him to grow up! He's still so tiny...

Back
Top Bottom