Hi everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveT

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Returning aquarist (sort of)... my Dad was big into fish so I grew up with tanks and the associated paraphanelia, but things have moved on in 30-40 years:brows:

I started a tank (190l / 42g) back in early March and it's currently home to about 25 fish. It took a while to get the "fishless cycling" done (I was getting my water tested weekly at my LFS and came away 3 weeks in a row without any fish as my ammonia was too high)... still they could of sold me some "quick dying" fish so kudos to them for giving me the right advice :flowers:

I don't want to overload the tank so as far a I'm concerned the tank is just about fully stocked (maybe a couple more female mollies as the one I have gets no peace), but so far I've stuck to artificial plants.

My aim over the next couple of months is to migrate to live plants in the tank and to remove the artificial ones as I undestand they increase the stability of the water, provide better hiding places for the fish and just look nicer...

Returning aquarist (sort of)... my Dad was big into fish so I grew up with tanks and the associated paraphanelia, but things have moved on in 30-40 years:brows:

I started a tank (190l / 42g) back in early March and it's currently home to about 25 fish. It took a while to get the "fishless cycling" done (I was getting my water tested weekly at my LFS and came away 3 weeks in a row without any fish as my ammonia was too high)... still they could of sold me some "quick dying" fish so kudos to them for giving me the right advice :flowers:

I don't want to overload the tank so as far a I'm concerned the tank is just about fully stocked (maybe a couple more female mollies as the one I have gets no peace), but so far I've stuck to artificial plants.

My aim over the next couple of months is to migrate to live plants in the tank and to remove the artificial ones as I undestand they increase the stability of the water, provide better hiding places for the fish and just look nicer...

Live plants also help stabilize nitrates, and ammonia. I recommend water sprite.

I will recommend moss balls easiest plant to keep not that pretty but not ugly either kind of neat! If you do get mossball a be sure to roll them over once a week! I don't need to mine somehow gets moved by the current and or fish

I will recommend moss balls easiest plant to keep not that pretty but not ugly either kind of neat! If you do get mossball a be sure to roll them over once a week! I don't need to mine somehow gets moved by the current and or fish

Moss balls r also good. I buy my live plants off of eBay and aqua-bid.

Hi and welcome! I also have artificial plants but since I added shrimp, I also added three moss balls. They are pretty cool, kind of move with the current. So since I have kept those things alive, maybe I can handle live plants one day lol! I picked mine up at Petsmart for only a few bucks apiece. The shrimp love them and hang out on them a lot.
Candace

Hi and welcome! I also have artificial plants but since I added shrimp, I also added three moss balls. They are pretty cool, kind of move with the current. So since I have kept those things alive, maybe I can handle live plants one day lol! I picked mine up at Petsmart for only a few bucks apiece. The shrimp love them and hang out on them a lot.
Candace

Moss balls are the easiest because they don't need alot of light. Different story for other plants from my understanding . But moss balls are great starter plants! You can cut them in half and them reform them into 2 balls they will grow back together I'm unsure exactly how to do it but you can.
Update

Here is how you propagate moss balls!
http://www.ehow.com/how_12230544_propagate-moss-balls.html#page=0

Back
Top Bottom