Hi everyone! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadySara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey fellow fish people!

My name is Sara and I live in the north eastern part of Washington state with my wonderful husband. Recently we got permission from our landlord to have a fish tank in the house and I quickly dug out my tiny 5.5 gallon cheapie tank that I had years ago. I set it up with a new brighter light bulb, plant Substrate, lots of low light plants, and tossed in a start zyme tablet and waited. And waited. And waited. Haha it felt like forever but this was the first time I actually let a tank cycle... silly high school me just threw the fish in when I had the tak initially. Anyways, I jut put in three male guppies and a nerite snail (the algea wad out of control) and now I am totally second guessing myself on everything. Aquavisor says I am grossly overstocked but everyone appears to be happy and lively. Mr. Snail is currently cleaning the brown algea off of my java fern.... so what I am lookingfor is opinions on this set up. Currently I have my ten gallon cycling with a handful of plants and any tips would be welcome.

Thanks so much everyone! Sorry it wasnt so much an introduction but a bunch of unsure nonsense. :)

Hello LadySara! Welcome to AA. This place is great and chocked full of advice (most good, some bad :) ) First off are you adding an ammonia source while you are cycling? If not, read the article (link below) on starting a freshwater aquarium.
Yes, I would say you were a bit overstocked, mostly becasue guppies like to swim a lot and there is not a lot of space in a 5.5 gallon. That being said if you stay on top of water changes (I'm thinking at least 50% weekly) and regular vacuums your guppies should be healthy, but cramped. It will be very easy for the water to become toxic so I would move them to your 10 gallon as soon as it finishes cycling and look for a more appropriate fish (or shrimps!) for your 5.5
I currently have a 10 gal and 5.5 and love them a lot (small apartment!) Hope you have lots of fun with your renewed hobby and good luck! :)

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I might just move the guppies over once the tank is ready but then I am left with a really pretty tank that seems kinda useless. I really should have thought it out better but I might put a male betta in it oncethe5.5 gallon is empty. Honestly i am not sure about shrimp. They seem interesting but im not sure that is what I want to wake up to in my bedroom tank lol. Oh and I am putying a small pinch of fish food in the tank every few days (or when I remember lol) for ammonia. I read somewhere on here that fish food would work. Haha hopefully that is true!

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I might just move the guppies over once the tank is ready but then I am left with a really pretty tank that seems kinda useless. I really should have thought it out better but I might put a male betta in it oncethe5.5 gallon is empty. Honestly i am not sure about shrimp. They seem interesting but im not sure that is what I want to wake up to in my bedroom tank lol. Oh and I am putying a small pinch of fish food in the tank every few days (or when I remember lol) for ammonia. I read somewhere on here that fish food would work. Haha hopefully that is true!

That's a prefect beta tank and nothing else

I don't know enough about invertebrates to comment but you can add a thread on the invertebrates section you will have a better response

But I think it would either be a shrimp tank and snail or just a beta tank still think it's too small

Back
Top Bottom