Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Brookster123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 18,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I disagree totally with your first sentence !!! Discus are very easy to look after just time consuming. What's so hard about a good water change schedule ??
maybe no harder skill wise, you just have to work harder on the sense of meticulous water changing and testing?? Bout the same as having a cichlid fry tank going??
__________________

__________________
I'm not really here... fell in the tank and my phone is just that smart
Brookster123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
treemanone2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bridgeport, Ct.
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
maybe no harder skill wise, you just have to work harder on the sense of meticulous water changing and testing?? Bout the same as having a cichlid fry tank going??

I love the fact that we always think alike lol !! Since I do WC's so often, I only test my tap water when the outside temp changes to know if the water company has done anything different in their treatment process. Luckily I have awesome water from these over charging idiots !! 😂👍
__________________

__________________
treemanone2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmunroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I disagree totally with your first sentence !!! Discus are very easy to look after just time consuming. What's so hard about a good water change schedule ?? Attachment 231990

Nothing really hard for someone like you or I maybe. But for most the attention to detail required, goes beyond their attention limits. Therefore they will always be considered harder to keep than most species. I remember when I started keeping fish 30 years ago, discus owners actually prided themselves on having very old, aged water with no water changes. How they managed to keep them alive, I don't know. Mind you they were stunted and short lived. Of course we know better these days. I have a 125 gallon with a wild caught oscar and silver dollars that's needs 2-3 50-75% water changes a week to keep the water parameters where they need to be. Just for arguments sake... why would you post something saying discus are easy to keep then post a pic of a specialized bare bottom tank with no decor that you use to make keeping them easier? Why would that be necessary if they are not hard to keep? I never kept discus or any other fish in bare bottom tanks. Defeats the purpose of the whole fish keeping experience for me. I like to give them an "environment". If you've never tried sand such as pool filter sand give it a try. Closest substrate I've been able to find to bare bottom to make waste control easier. Everything sits on top for easy collection.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
treemanone2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bridgeport, Ct.
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunroe View Post
Nothing really hard for someone like you or I maybe. But for most the attention to detail required, goes beyond their attention limits. Therefore they will always be considered harder to keep than most species. I remember when I started keeping fish 30 years ago, discus owners actually prided themselves on having very old, aged water with no water changes. How they managed to keep them alive, I don't know. Mind you they were stunted and short lived. Of course we know better these days. I have a 125 gallon with a wild caught oscar and silver dollars that's needs 2-3 50-75% water changes a week to keep the water parameters where they need to be. Just for arguments sake... why would you post something saying discus are easy to keep then post a pic of a specialized bare bottom tank with no decor that you use to make keeping them easier? Why would that be necessary if they are not hard to keep? I never kept discus or any other fish in bare bottom tanks. Defeats the purpose of the whole fish keeping experience for me. I like to give them an "environment". If you've never tried sand such as pool filter sand give it a try. Closest substrate I've been able to find to bare bottom to make waste control easier. Everything sits on top for easy collection.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I hear what you're saying, but honestly I feel that even the freshest newbie, with proper education and commitment can do so very easily. In reply to your question regarding the specialized BB tank, that's my new arrival QT tank. As all my new additions, QT comes first. It's a very important aspect that often goes overlooked by most folks that are either un- or undereducated, or just don't care. Then we both know what happens after that. A new thread about fish dying off or out of control parameters or even better, "Help my fish are acting funny". One DT has gravel and I'm working on a biotope setup for the 265 after I move. And you're absolutely correct about the PFS being the easiest for keeping the detritus visible.
__________________
treemanone2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Jmunroe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
I hear what you're saying, but honestly I feel that even the freshest newbie, with proper education and commitment can do so very easily. In reply to your question regarding the specialized BB tank, that's my new arrival QT tank. As all my new additions, QT comes first. It's a very important aspect that often goes overlooked by most folks that are either un- or undereducated, or just don't care. Then we both know what happens after that. A new thread about fish dying off or out of control parameters or even better, "Help my fish are acting funny". One DT has gravel and I'm working on a biotope setup for the 265 after I move. And you're absolutely correct about the PFS being the easiest for keeping the detritus visible.

Nice. I agree with all this. I had to quarantine my wild oscar and give him a battery of treatments as we know that captive fish can't handle some of the nasties that wild fish can carry and aren't bothered by. Quarantine is often overlooked and paid for later. And good on you for trying to educate properly and doing things right.


Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
__________________

__________________
Jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jason Fox coral additions Acronuts New Acquisitions 4 07-01-2010 09:01 PM
Jason Baliban / projectaquarium.com's sweet floating emersed setup czcz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 5 12-20-2008 09:36 PM
jason's 20gal NEW reef ** update @ 5 months ** Jason Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 40 02-21-2005 06:32 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.