Hi everyone I'm Jason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree totally with your first sentence !!! Discus are very easy to look after just time consuming. What's so hard about a good water change schedule ??
maybe no harder skill wise, you just have to work harder on the sense of meticulous water changing and testing?? Bout the same as having a cichlid fry tank going??

maybe no harder skill wise, you just have to work harder on the sense of meticulous water changing and testing?? Bout the same as having a cichlid fry tank going??

I love the fact that we always think alike lol !! Since I do WC's so often, I only test my tap water when the outside temp changes to know if the water company has done anything different in their treatment process. Luckily I have awesome water from these over charging idiots !! ??

I disagree totally with your first sentence !!! Discus are very easy to look after just time consuming. What's so hard about a good water change schedule ?? View attachment 231990

Nothing really hard for someone like you or I maybe. But for most the attention to detail required, goes beyond their attention limits. Therefore they will always be considered harder to keep than most species. I remember when I started keeping fish 30 years ago, discus owners actually prided themselves on having very old, aged water with no water changes. How they managed to keep them alive, I don't know. Mind you they were stunted and short lived. Of course we know better these days. I have a 125 gallon with a wild caught oscar and silver dollars that's needs 2-3 50-75% water changes a week to keep the water parameters where they need to be. Just for arguments sake... why would you post something saying discus are easy to keep then post a pic of a specialized bare bottom tank with no decor that you use to make keeping them easier? Why would that be necessary if they are not hard to keep? I never kept discus or any other fish in bare bottom tanks. Defeats the purpose of the whole fish keeping experience for me. I like to give them an "environment". If you've never tried sand such as pool filter sand give it a try. Closest substrate I've been able to find to bare bottom to make waste control easier. Everything sits on top for easy collection.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing really hard for someone like you or I maybe. But for most the attention to detail required, goes beyond their attention limits. Therefore they will always be considered harder to keep than most species. I remember when I started keeping fish 30 years ago, discus owners actually prided themselves on having very old, aged water with no water changes. How they managed to keep them alive, I don't know. Mind you they were stunted and short lived. Of course we know better these days. I have a 125 gallon with a wild caught oscar and silver dollars that's needs 2-3 50-75% water changes a week to keep the water parameters where they need to be. Just for arguments sake... why would you post something saying discus are easy to keep then post a pic of a specialized bare bottom tank with no decor that you use to make keeping them easier? Why would that be necessary if they are not hard to keep? I never kept discus or any other fish in bare bottom tanks. Defeats the purpose of the whole fish keeping experience for me. I like to give them an "environment". If you've never tried sand such as pool filter sand give it a try. Closest substrate I've been able to find to bare bottom to make waste control easier. Everything sits on top for easy collection.

I hear what you're saying, but honestly I feel that even the freshest newbie, with proper education and commitment can do so very easily. In reply to your question regarding the specialized BB tank, that's my new arrival QT tank. As all my new additions, QT comes first. It's a very important aspect that often goes overlooked by most folks that are either un- or undereducated, or just don't care. Then we both know what happens after that. A new thread about fish dying off or out of control parameters or even better, "Help my fish are acting funny". One DT has gravel and I'm working on a biotope setup for the 265 after I move. And you're absolutely correct about the PFS being the easiest for keeping the detritus visible.

I hear what you're saying, but honestly I feel that even the freshest newbie, with proper education and commitment can do so very easily. In reply to your question regarding the specialized BB tank, that's my new arrival QT tank. As all my new additions, QT comes first. It's a very important aspect that often goes overlooked by most folks that are either un- or undereducated, or just don't care. Then we both know what happens after that. A new thread about fish dying off or out of control parameters or even better, "Help my fish are acting funny". One DT has gravel and I'm working on a biotope setup for the 265 after I move. And you're absolutely correct about the PFS being the easiest for keeping the detritus visible.

Nice. I agree with all this. I had to quarantine my wild oscar and give him a battery of treatments as we know that captive fish can't handle some of the nasties that wild fish can carry and aren't bothered by. Quarantine is often overlooked and paid for later. And good on you for trying to educate properly and doing things right.

Back
Top Bottom