Hi everyone- I'm new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoCal_Nana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I rescued a carnival goldfish from my granddaughter- bought a real tank, then bought a bigger tank- and now we need a bigger tank- my question is about the stands- some look like they were made out of beer cans and say suitable for a 30 gallon tank!!! ??? But some decent real furniture say not for more than 100#s- what to do? Also, how do you start a new tank then move it to existing stand???? I'm scared to death about these two things- please help:blink::fish2::blink::thanks:

I went from a ten gallon to a twenty gallon, so had to change tank and stand.
To do this I put the fish and five gallons of water in a bucket emptied the ten gallon tank, took the tank off the stand, moved the stand put the bigger stand in it’s place, put the twenty gallon on the stand, added gravel and plant and furnishings I used about five gallons of old water, and filled it with new water and put the filter with old media back in place, added the heater and then added the fish.

Thank you! That's great news. I was under the impression I needed to cycle the new tank for a week, then move the big guy- that is such a relief-

I know, right? Currently I have a 10 gal tank on my grandma's buffet, made in the 50's out of mahogany, but no way do I want a 20 gal on it! and no way I could build my own :(

Thank you! That's great news. I was under the impression I needed to cycle the new tank for a week, then move the big guy- that is such a relief-

So it worked for me,but I put the old filter back in place and used some old sand and some new sand and so had established B.B.

This thing is pretty sturdy, I would love to put it on here

d01e07ef-7e1d-40e6-bc3c-8f8e5849d68a_1.702f520e50de0c7b572eb668880e0b4a.jpeg

Hi there and welcome SoCal_Nana!

So in round figures...
the 30G tank would be ~30 x 8 = 240 pounds
then the substrate about 25 lbs.
Rocks 10 lbs
tank, top, glass lid and light 20lbs

Maybe 295 pounds.

That would make me nervous as a nana of a kiddo bumping into something and having a crash.

If you don't already have the furniture earthquake or grand kiddo strapped to the wall studs, maybe a good idea.

A good option is to find some really sturdy 1980's oak wood office printer stand strong desk or credenza type item and five it a coordinating coat of paint.

There are also water proofing aka hydrophobic coatings (like rustoleum neverwet) which make water bead right off of the furniture. I am thinking of using this on a tank stand I already own. It is made from particle board and other wood like material and got some damage from water so to avoid further warping I want to add it to the edges where the particle boards aren't sealed.

Is your Goldfish a comet? If so you might even consider a bigger tank, as all the smaller ones add up in $$$. Comet GF can get to 12-18 inches. You could get some tank mates then.

Just an FYI...to properly cycle a tank, it takes approximately 7 weeks if starting off with a new filter. If you have an established filter, and are moving the filter and media over to the new tank, you should not lose your cycle. If anything, maybe do an extra water change. A lot of people think that letting a tank sit with the filter running for a week, is cycling a tank. It is not, and i just wasn't sure if SoCal_Nana knows this. Hope this helps.

Yes, I believe it is a comet- just the .35 goldfish that are 300 to a tank at Petco... she is already about 3.5 inches long- to be perfectly honest, I didn't think she would live this long- I felt bad for her when they kept her in a fishbowl- so now 3 years and at least $500 later- I have a ginormous goldfish named Layla - lol

Those stupid fairs and carnivals giving out fish as prizes!

Yup for a 15 cent fish we go through stress and so many dollars and time and energy.

You are right most of those fish did die, few probably survived, Layla is a lucky one!

Back
Top Bottom