Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblacrosse

I brought it to the pet store to test, and the fish expert said it was completely healthy if I did a 15% water change tonight. I put some Nutrafin Cycle in like he told me to, also. Will that be enough?
The levels are normal because the ammonia hasn't accumulated yet. It WILL happen. Please read the links provided. They will explain it all

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't wanna go against the experts here, but I had to do a complete scrap on my 55 gallon 2 months ago. I had no option but nutrafin cycle, it saved my stock. Along with large daily water changes. But this was a last ditch effort for me, also it was hard on my fish. I would never, I repeat NEVER do it again. My fish stressed to the point where I was worried and stressed for them everyday. There is good advice here and momma.of.two is one of the best. Read all she writes and follow it religiously. That would be your best bet.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

the "fish expert" was obviously not the "expert" he claimed to be. welcome to AA! you have two options right now:

1. take the fish back and do a fishless cycle. this is the best option, and it will make your tank a much happier place for your fish when it is time for them to be added.

2. do a fish in cycle. this requires twice daily 50% water changes MINIMUM. only do this if you can't take the fish back.

now, if you pick 1 or 2, you'll need a test kit. the API master kit is the best one around, and using your own kit is really going to be the most convenient option. (you'll need to test daily for a few weeks on either option)

if you picked A, you need:
pure ammonia (no surfactants or scents)
OR
fish food/raw shrimp
you need these in order to basically simulate a tank full of fish in order to sort of "trick" your bacteria into developing.

i also reccomend prime for A as well... just good stuff to have on hand.
now, if you pick B, you'll need:
a bigger tank... i would go 29 gallons MINIMUM, and that will only hold the angel for a little while...

prime water conditioner, because it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours while keeping it in a usable form for your bacteria.

preparation... this method is risky, and could possibly kill your fish.

i also reccomend live plants for this option... they help convert ammonia and nitrite, and are very good to have around during a fish in cycle...

i really hope we don't discourage you, fishkeeping is really fun after you get through this part, but hey... we all have to start somewhere
Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA! Thanks for joining us!
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

But I don't know what to do. I had to buy a bunch of stuff to get the fish and stuff for the tank, and I barely have any more money. Do you have any more suggestions?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
But I don't know what to do. I had to buy a bunch of stuff to get the fish and stuff for the tank, and I barely have any more money. Do you have any more suggestions?
It's ok
You have two options.
1. Return the fish for a store credit, buy the API test kit with it and do a fishless cycle with bottled ammonia OR
2. Save up for a test kit and do 50% water changes EVERY DAY until you get it.
Your fish are not suitable for your tank size but they will be ok for now. You have a couple of months to save for a bigger tank if you want to keep them.
I know it's VERY overwhelming but we are here to guide your through it!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

It's ok
You have two options.
1. Return the fish for a store credit, buy the API test kit with it and do a fishless cycle with bottled ammonia OR
2. Save up for a test kit and do 50% water changes EVERY DAY until you get it.
Your fish are not suitable for your tank size but they will be ok for now. You have a couple of months to save for a bigger tank if you want to keep them.
I know it's VERY overwhelming but we are here to guide your through it!
Thank you so much! I needed some clarity on how long they would last in this tank. Thanks for your help! This is a pretty awesome website.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Thank you so much! I needed some clarity on how long they would last in this tank. Thanks for your help! This is a pretty awesome website.
Your welcome and yes it is! Lol.
Do you have a dechlorinator/water conditioner?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Your welcome and yes it is! Lol.
Do you have a dechlorinator/water conditioner?
Yes, I do. Why?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Yes, I do. Why?
Oh, I was just asking because you will need to treat the new water going into your tank when you do your daily water changes. so its good you have one!

What a dechlorinator does is neutralize the chlorine and chloramine in your tap water. If you do not do this they will kill off the bacteria you are trying to grow and it can also harm your fish.

Tags
new fish, started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com