Hi everyone! Just started my new fish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
Oh, I was just asking because you will need to treat the new water going into your tank when you do your daily water changes. :) so its good you have one!

What a dechlorinator does is neutralize the chlorine and chloramine in your tap water. If you do not do this they will kill off the bacteria you are trying to grow and it can also harm your fish.

I have AquaSafe by Tetra, and it does neutralizes chlorine and chloramines too, so I guess that's good.

bblacrosse said:
I have AquaSafe by Tetra, and it does neutralizes chlorine and chloramines too, so I guess that's good.

Yes :) that's good! When that runs out I'd like to recommend Prime. It is more expensive but is highly concentrated and last for ages.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes :) that's good! When that runs out I'd like to recommend Prime. It is more expensive but is highly concentrated and last for ages.

Thank you :) that will be very helpful in the future. Also, how many fish COULD I have in a fifteen gallon tank, and which ones are good for new aquarium keepers?

bblacrosse said:
Thank you :) that will be very helpful in the future. Also, how many fish COULD I have in a fifteen gallon tank, and which ones are good for new aquarium keepers?

Now that's a trick question. :) there are lots of thing that need to be taken into consideration like aggression, fish size, compatibility, schooling, swimming space, etc. So there is no set answer.
Is the tank a 15g tall? If so it has the same foot print as a 10 but taller.
You can keep the following fish (there are more though) in different combinations.
Guppys
Neons tetras
Ember tetras
Betta
Honey gourami
Platys
Pygmy cories
Shrimp
WCMM (cooler tanks only)
And the list goes on.
What I like to suggest is you have a look at you LFS (local fish store) and see what fish interest you, come home and research them to see if they are suitable and ask on here.

Mumma.of.two said:
Now that's a trick question. :) there are lots of thing that need to be taken into consideration like aggression, fish size, compatibility, schooling, swimming space, etc. So there is no set answer.
Is the tank a 15g tall? If so it has the same foot print as a 10 but taller.
You can keep the following fish (there are more though) in different combinations.
Guppys
Neons tetras
Ember tetras
Betta
Honey gourami
Platys
Pygmy cories
Shrimp
WCMM (cooler tanks only)
And the list goes on.
What I like to suggest is you have a look at you LFS (local fish store) and see what fish interest you, come home and research them to see if they are suitable and ask on here.

How big do the gouramis get? I saw some at the pet store and they were pretty big. Also, there is another type of gourami, will those work in this tank, too? Will you send me a link to a website of fish that can thrive or at least live in the 15 gal? I know it's a lot of questions but I really want to know. thanks :)

bblacrosse said:
How big do the gouramis get? I saw some at the pet store and they were pretty big. Also, there is another type of gourami, will those work in this tank, too?

There are many are many types of gourami. You probably saw a golden gourami. They can get 5-6 inches. (pic of one in my album) A honey gourami will stay about 1-1.5 inches.

Mumma.of.two said:
There are many are many types of gourami. You probably saw a golden gourami. They can get 5-6 inches. (pic of one in my album) A honey gourami will stay about 1-1.5 inches.

Would you mind sending me a link to a website or a list of fish that can work in the 15 gallon? I need lots of choices.

Hi there - im a relatively new fish keeper myself and not as smart as you ( i.e. i didn't join this community within a few days of setting up my new tank ). In fact I lost 12 fish before I decided that I needed to take a step back and do some research into how to keep them alive. After doing some reading here I learned about the nitrogen cycle and the two methods to successfully complete it A) fish in cycle B) fish less cycle.

When i started I knew new tanks had a "break- in" period but only after doing this reading about the nitrogen cycle did I realize what I had done ... allowed my fish to die of ammonia poisoning because i only changed the water once per week. I felt (and still feel) horrible about this and decided at the time to have a go at a fish less cycle. It took a month of unsuccessful solo effort then I decided to put the experts here on aa.com to work for me....here is the thread I started back in early October http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/struggling-with-first-fishless-cycle-172885.html. From start to finish it took me 3.5 months to finally cycle my tank but I was able to do it with the help of the good people here. have a read of my thread if you want to see how we finally got it to work.

I just recently bought my first fish (december 11th !) and am happy to report they are all alive and healthy and about to move into a new 26 gallon home (from 5 gallon currently). It's a bit of work to get it going, but very satisfying when done and you can enjoy the new aquarium you've spent the time to properly set up. Anyway, stick with the advice of the folks here and you'll get that tank cycled and should not lose any fish in the process. You can do this ;)

Back
Top Bottom