Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Smile Hi everyone! Just started my new fish tank.

Hello fish world!My name is bblacrosse (my real name cant be given because I am only thirteen). I just got a new 15 gallon fish tank for Christmas, because I am fascinated with fish. The tank came with a heater, a cover for the tank with a light, a filter, some tap water conditioner, and some food. I also bought some fake plants and some aquarium props for the fish to shelter in. I also bought some rocks to lay on the floor. I have 6 fish as of now: 3 mollies, 2 pink glofish, and 1 angelfish. Do you have any tips for a starter aquarium? If so, please help me out and reply.

Also, I have a question: there are these weird dust-like particles floating around the water and also on the surface, will these hurt the fish? What should I do.
Thank you, bblacrosse

Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblacrosse
Hello fish world!My name is bblacrosse (my real name cant be given because I am only thirteen). I just got a new 15 gallon fish tank for Christmas, because I am fascinated with fish. The tank came with a heater, a cover for the tank with a light, a filter, some tap water conditioner, and some food. I also bought some fake plants and some aquarium props for the fish to shelter in. I also bought some rocks to lay on the floor. I have 6 fish as of now: 3 mollies, 2 pink glofish, and 1 angelfish. Do you have any tips for a starter aquarium? If so, please help me out and reply.

Also, I have a question: there are these weird dust-like particles floating around the water and also on the surface, will these hurt the fish? What should I do.
Thank you, bblacrosse
Hi and welcome to AA!
The most important thing that has to happen in a newly set up tank is cycling. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia your fish produce. I will link some guides for you to read if. you will need a test kit. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Do not buy strips. they are inaccurate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

Also I have some bad news Your tank is too small for all the fish species you have. The mollies are high waste producers (they poop a lot!), the angel will grow very large and the danios/glofish need a 20g long minimum to provide enough swimming space for them. They also need a school of their own kind (glofish or zebra danios) of 6 or more.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for replying! I tested for ammonia and nitrates, and it is all healthy. Also, how long do the fish have before they will die in this tank?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well hello to Aquarium Advice. I have to say if you got your tank for Christmas it is not cycled and your gonna have fish that 99% will die from ammonia poisoning. I only say that because your fish are in an emergency situation. If you can ask the local fish store if they will take back the fish then you might save them from the big aquarium in the sky. You need to get the nitrogen cycle going so you will have beneficial bacteria established before stocking up on fish. It can be a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle. Please understand setting up the tank for 1 day and then rushing out the next day or so and getting fish is a mistake a lot of new people to this hobby do. Do not worry we will help guide you so your aquarium will thrive.

For more info on the Nitrogen Cycle use the link below

For Fish In cycling - Aquarium Information - Aquarium Cycling

For Fishless cycling - The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Also what filtration do you have? For a non planted tank I suggest Mechincal, chemical (carbon) , biological and a tank cleanup crew.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Hi and welcome to AA!
The most important thing that has to happen in a newly set up tank is cycling. Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in your filter to process the ammonia your fish produce. I will link some guides for you to read if. you will need a test kit. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Do not buy strips. they are inaccurate.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page2.html

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

Also I have some bad news Your tank is too small for all the fish species you have. The mollies are high waste producers (they poop a lot!), the angel will grow very large and the danios/glofish need a 20g long minimum to provide enough swimming space for them. They also need a school of their own kind (glofish or zebra danios) of 6 or more.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask!
How big will my angelfish get if it is the small breed?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Thank you for replying! I tested for ammonia and nitrates, and it is all healthy. Also, how long do the fish have before they will die in this tank?
What's are you using to test? If the tank isn't cycled they could die within a week IMO if water changes are not done regularly. I really do suggest returning them and doing a fishless cycle or buying some fish more suited to your tank and fish in cycling. Fish in cycling is hard work. It requires daily water changes and testing so if your not up for it I suggest a fishless cycle.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

How big will my angelfish get if it is the small breed?
Up to a foot top to bottom if kept in the correct tank.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterFishJunkie
Well hello to Aquarium Advice. I have to say if you got your tank for Christmas it is not cycled and your gonna have fish that 99% will die from ammonia poising. I only say that because your fish are in an emergency situation. If you can ask the local fish store if they will take back the fish then you might save them from the big aquarium in the sky. You need to get the nitrogen cycle going so you will have beneficial bacteria established before stocking up on fish. It can be a fishless cycle or a fish in cycle. Please understand setting up the tank for 1 day and then rushing out the next day or so and getting fish is a mistake a lot of new people to this hobby do. Do not worry we will help guide you so your aquarium will thrive.

For more info on the Nitrogen Cycle use the link below

For Fish In cycling - Aquarium Information - Aquarium Cycling

For Fishless cycling - The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Also what filtration do you have? For a non planted tank I suggest Mechincal, chemical (carbon) , biological and a tank cleanup crew.
I got it tested for all of the nitrates and ammonia and all of the water cycle things at the pet store. The fish expert said that it was ok and that it would do fine, after I put some Nutrafin Cycle in. I have all of the filters that you listed, and all of the fish have not shown any problems with the nitrates and ammonia poisoning.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

What's are you using to test? If the tank isn't cycled they could die within a week IMO if water changes are not done regularly. I really do suggest returning them and doing a fishless cycle or buying some fish more suited to your tank and fish in cycling. Fish in cycling is hard work. It requires daily water changes and testing so if your not up for it I suggest a fishless cycle.
I brought it to the pet store to test, and the fish expert said it was completely healthy if I did a 15% water change tonight. I put some Nutrafin Cycle in like he told me to, also. Will that be enough?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblacrosse View Post

Thank you, bblacrosse
Do the dust like particles look like microbubbles?

Tags
new fish, started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com