Hi Everyone! Would like to add snail killing fish to my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ramilgtangco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to aquascaping and would like to add fish to my tank, 16 neon tetra, 6 shrimps atm, would like to add something that would kill snails. I have a 25 Gal planted tank I added the link to my profile if you're interested in seeing it. Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I'm a noob myself, I dont know of any fish that eat snails, but I was asking about snails at a fish store the other day (I plan on having a planted tank and wanted to know how to deal with them before I start since I've seen so many planted tanks overrun.)
It sounds like there's two main options. You can buy assassin snails which are carnivorous and will devour the unwanted snails, or you can take iceberg lettuce leaves, run them under hot water to bruise them a bit and float them on top of your water after turning out the lights. The snails are attracted to the dying leaf and will collect in large numbers on it. Then in the morning you simply remove the lettuce before turning on the lights. Do that for a couple days and supposedly most of your snails will be gone.
I've never tried either option since I don't have my tank set up yet, but have heard both work.

Hope that helps!

You can buy assassin snails which are carnivorous and will devour the unwanted snails, or you can take iceberg lettuce leaves, run them under hot water to bruise them a bit and float them on top of your water after turning out the lights. The snails are attracted to the dying leaf and will collect in large numbers on it. Then in the morning you simply remove the lettuce before turning on the lights.

:agree: I had a tank overrun with pond snails :banghead:. I think they hitched in with some plants although I had rinsed them before putting them in the tank. It took forever and I was using the blanched lettuce method. Finally, I got sick of the constant fighting with it and totally disassembled the tank, cleaned everything, resoaked the plants in bleach solution and then boiled the rocks for 5 minutes, reassembled everything, and still ended up with a few left. Before the boiling, i put the rocks in my bathroom sink (the wife LOVED that... not) and swished when aound in water so I could separate the snails from the rocks. I tossed all the snails I found out in the yard. Now, I havent seen any in a while but during the cleaning I found several hundred ranging in size from the head of a pin to 1/4 inch. Next time, it's an assasin snail for me.

Thank you

:agree: I had a tank overrun with pond snails :banghead:. I think they hitched in with some plants although I had rinsed them before putting them in the tank. It took forever and I was using the blanched lettuce method. Finally, I got sick of the constant fighting with it and totally disassembled the tank, cleaned everything, resoaked the plants in bleach solution and then boiled the rocks for 5 minutes, reassembled everything, and still ended up with a few left. Before the boiling, i put the rocks in my bathroom sink (the wife LOVED that... not) and swished when aound in water so I could separate the snails from the rocks. I tossed all the snails I found out in the yard. Now, I havent seen any in a while but during the cleaning I found several hundred ranging in size from the head of a pin to 1/4 inch. Next time, it's an assasin snail for me.

I did some research and found that clown loaches would eat snails, however they aren't suited for my tank as I have shrimp... Maybe they can help you, yoyo loaches, clown loaches and gourami, dwarf gourami will eat snails too! None are compatible with shrimp apparently, unless the shrimp are their snacks...

I started getting very aggressive about netting snails out whenever I saw any on the glass. That really made an impact. Then I added a couple of Yoyo loaches and haven't had a problem since. But yeah, I expect they would eat small shrimp too.

I did some research and found that clown loaches would eat snails, however they aren't suited for my tank as I have shrimp... Maybe they can help you, yoyo loaches, clown loaches and gourami, dwarf gourami will eat snails too! None are compatible with shrimp apparently, unless the shrimp are their snacks...

I had 2 dwarf gouramis in the tank, but it still got overrun... I dont have loaches, but if anyone has had successful first-hand experience it's worth a try...

More important than buying a species to consume them, is figuring out why you have pest snails. They usually appear as a hitchhiker on plants or with new fish. They usually only stay due to overfeeding or excess nutrients in the tank.

Figure out why. Take appropriate measures. Hand pick them out. Problem solved. :cool:

More important than buying a species to consume them, is figuring out why you have pest snails. They usually appear as a hitchhiker on plants or with new fish. They usually only stay due to overfeeding or excess nutrients in the tank.

Figure out why. Take appropriate measures. Hand pick them out. Problem solved. :cool:

I don't need to figure out why, I bought Pheonix Moss, Java ferns and Anubias from a guy that was shutting down his tank. He told me he had snails in his tank, told me to "rinse" them before putting them in my tank to get rid of the snails...

Thing is, I doubt he knew I'm a noob to aquascaping because I did research about which plants I wanted and obviously I bargained with him so I acted like I knew what he was talking about...

Long story short, after researching how to eradicate snails, I found what he meant by "rinse the plants" was to use chemical solutions on the plants, or salt or all sorts of stuff I've read about...not just running them through faucet water like when you rinse your veggies for a salad...
Oh well... I really got more than I bargained for.... sigh...

I will try the lettuce technique, it's a means of control, I would like to keep a few big ones so I have cleaner glass and I squash any small ones on the glass that I see... Just don't want my tank to get overpopulated....

i have a liquid additive that i use its called HAD-A-SNAIL APaquarium products makes it.

Ramilgtangco said:
Hi I'm new to aquascaping and would like to add fish to my tank, 16 neon tetra, 6 shrimps atm, would like to add something that would kill snails. I have a 25 Gal planted tank I added the link to my profile if you're interested in seeing it. Thanks in advance!

Um my kribs eat Mts snails. I wouldn't advise them for a planted tank though. Some people say they tear up the plants. Also I believe clown loaches have been known to eat snails also. But not for a 25gal IMO

I had a massive snail problem I found out from my lfs that Zebra Loaches (botia striata) eat snails and since i bought them i have not seen any alive snails since only empty shells but get at least 3 together

P.S I think they should be fine with shrimp but don't hold me to that

fishyperson3010 said:
I had a massive snail problem I found out from my lfs that Zebra Loaches (botia striata) eat snails and have not seen any alive snails since only empty shells but get at least 3 together

P.S I think they should be fine with shrimp but don't hold me to that

I would get 4-5 as long as your tank has the room for it. Also a 25 is the smallest tank I would put them in jmo

Back
Top Bottom