Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
londonlad_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: take a guess :-P
Posts: 14
Im new here, and fairly new to fish keeping but feel i know some basics , got a settled comunity tank, with small fish. Have noticed a few fish scratching and felt i have maybe lapsed on the upkeep abit, did a test yesterday and all seemed ok:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20-30 max
Nitrite 0
PH low test 7.6+
PH high 7.8[does this seem high]

Its a low fairly low planted tank with a gravel sub, very much in need of a clean, although looks spotless until disturbed. Got some new plants on orderorder and not sure weather to not clean my gravel as im sure the new plants will benefit from the dirty gravel? And what about my water stats? Are these ok? Why are my fish scratching any clue in what i have said? Any help would be great thanks and hi....
Ps please excuse any spelling mistakes im typing this on my phone and the predictive text sometimes runs away with its self!!
__________________

__________________
londonlad_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Welcome to AA!!

Have you recently added any new fish?
__________________

__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
londonlad_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: take a guess :-P
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Welcome to AA!!

Have you recently added any new fish?
Thanks for the welcome and no all fish have been living in the tank happily for min of 5 months now.
__________________
londonlad_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonlad_777
Im new here, and fairly new to fish keeping but feel i know some basics , got a settled comunity tank, with small fish. Have noticed a few fish scratching and felt i have maybe lapsed on the upkeep abit, did a test yesterday and all seemed ok:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20-30 max
Nitrite 0
PH low test 7.6+
PH high 7.8[does this seem high]

Its a low fairly low planted tank with a gravel sub, very much in need of a clean, although looks spotless until disturbed. Got some new plants on orderorder and not sure weather to not clean my gravel as im sure the new plants will benefit from the dirty gravel? And what about my water stats? Are these ok? Why are my fish scratching any clue in what i have said? Any help would be great thanks and hi....
Ps please excuse any spelling mistakes im typing this on my phone and the predictive text sometimes runs away with its self!!
Hi and welcome!
7.8 I perfectly fine. That's what my tanks all sit at. your params look fine.
Do any of your fish have any little white spots that look like grains of salt?
How often are they flashing/scratching?
Sometimes fish flash but if it's too often you could have a problem.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
00youknowit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Hi and welcome!
7.8 I perfectly fine. That's what my tanks all sit at. your params look fine.
Do any of your fish have any little white spots that look like grains of salt?
How often are they flashing/scratching?
Sometimes fish flash but if it's too often you could have a problem.
Ah beat me to it:P that's what I was getting at too
__________________
The hardest thing about this hobby, is having a budget..
Everyone has questions
00youknowit00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
londonlad_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: take a guess :-P
Posts: 14
Thanks for replying
I don't see any marks on them at all and its not often they flash but what made me think i might have a outbreak of something was the fact that i have seen more then one do it within a hour!
__________________
londonlad_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed
 
Mumma.of.two's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Queensland, Australia
Posts: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonlad_777
Thanks for replying
I don't see any marks on them at all and its not often they flash but what made me think i might have a outbreak of something was the fact that i have seen more then one do it within a hour!
Sometimes fish just get itchy keep an eye on them and keep your water clean.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
George9's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,765
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Welcome to AA! You'll become a fish freak yourself very soon,
__________________
-George
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Aces11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntley, IL
Posts: 976
Welcome to Aquarium Advice! A ph of 7.8 is perfectly fine and all the other levels are good as well. Out of curiosity, what kinds of fish do you keep?
__________________
Aces11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
londonlad_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: take a guess :-P
Posts: 14
Hi and thanks x i just have the usual suspects , few guppys few cherry barbs few neons and a flying fox. So what are all your thoughts on cleaning my gravel, good idea or bad? My new plants are on order and don't want to rob them of all nutrients by cleaning it???
__________________

__________________
londonlad_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
A Story: First Fish in Tank Died Likely Sick When Purchased LarryS Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 22 11-27-2011 11:32 PM
17 dead fish 3 seprut tanks all started from fish bought fron the same shop Shaymarie Aquaria Off-Topic 38 09-26-2011 07:15 PM
Sick Clown Fish - Advice Pls AnnieT Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 1 09-26-2011 09:54 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.