Hi folks :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rlov

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Had a friend get me into saltwater aquarium...then he stopped talking to me(lol), so I need some advice on some things. I have a 40 gal long,crushed coral bottom, yellow tang, pygmy angel, 2 turbo snails, 1 zebra snail, 1 arrow crab, 1 damsel(small). I have an Emperor 400 bio-wheel(80 gal) filter, and a Cascade 35 gal filter. On Thursday, 6/15, I noticed a slight cloudiness to my water...Friday I couldn't see my backdrop. I changed the cascade filter, and one of the Emperor filters, and a 15 gal. water change. No help. Can I get some advice please?

Welcome to AA! I can't help with the SW just wanted to welcome you. You can post in the SW section for specific answers to your questions.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

What kind of lights/how long are you running them?
Do you have a test kit, if so, what are your results?
How long has the tank been running?
You can put your yank specs/equipment/critters under "my info" so we will know what you have and any new critters that you might add.

welcome!

check your salinity/specfic gravity. maybe there's too much salt in there from the water change.

Or, maybe your crushed coral was not rinsed well enough when you filled it, and it has a lot of dust underneath (crushed coral is INCREDIBLY dusty.) Your substrate could be getting stirred up by the janitors, releasing all that dust into your water...

Just something for thought.

Welcome again :)

I would get the water back to acceptable levels immediately! I would do a 50% water change to start with and add a protein skimmer. I couldn't believe the nasty slimy gunk the protein skimmer took out of my water. It's been a while since I kept salts and its hard to tell whats going on with your tank with the little info provided. I'm also far from a salt expert but the thought of you losing these guys just makes my stomach hurt! Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom