Hi, from a Fish-Keeping amateur (very amateur)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonCrispFishNewbie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

I have had my first tank up and running now for around 5months with pretty decent success...the tank is a 60Litre freshwater tank and I currently have 2 red-capped orandas and 4 danios (not sure their full name)

I was sold a sick Oranda which died within 2 days of me setting up the tank but the other one has been fine ever since. I replaced the sick oranda and he has been fine until now...will explain in a bit...

About 2 months in I bought 5 danios, 4 of which are still fighting fit (boy are they lively guys) but unfortunately one of them got stuck behind my filter a few weeks ago and when I found him was unfortunately dead :(.

My oranda who is not currently unwell is swimming around upside down at the moment, mainly being moved around by the current from the filter and really strange to me is the fact that my original oranda keeps carrying him on his back to the top of the tank... its almost as if its performing some sort of motherly, parental duty trying to keep him active...is that normal behaviour for orandas??

i understand some orandas do this from time to time but after a few days resume to normal, i hope this is right because i take good care of the little guys and would hate to see a fatality :(....

Thanks for reading

Jon

Welcome Jon.

Sorry to hear some of the fish are not doing well. Have you checked the water? It seems you have a 15 gallon tank with 2 Oranda Goldfish and 5 Danios. Hopefully, the fish are ok. You might want to consider a larger tank for the Goldfish. I always go by 10 gallons per goldfish. If the oranda is swimming upside down, something is going on. What type of filter? Is there a heater? The goldfish are cold water and do not need a heater. Hows the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? PH?

Welcome Jon.

Sorry to hear some of the fish are not doing well. Have you checked the water? It seems you have a 15 gallon tank with 2 Oranda Goldfish and 5 Danios. Hopefully, the fish are ok. You might want to consider a larger tank for the Goldfish. I always go by 10 gallons per goldfish. If the oranda is swimming upside down, something is going on. What type of filter? Is there a heater? The goldfish are cold water and do not need a heater. Hows the ammonia, nitrite and nitrates? PH?

I dont have any kits to check the water but all the other fish seem ok...the fish are very young so the assistant at the shop said this tank should be ok..do you mean if the fish are developed then larger tank should be used?? I dont have the heater in the tank, I got one with the tank but thought they were cold water so didnt install it...the filter is the one that came with the tank...i change about a quarter of the water once every couple of weeks, perhaps i should do it more often??
Thanks for your reply :)

Welcome aboard Jon. You might want to post your questions in the FW forums. More people will see it and you`ll get more answers.

Back
Top Bottom