Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ohh yeah I took the annoying water fall noise as a clue to add more water. The worse it got the more I knew I had to do it

Old 01-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
Ohh yeah I took the annoying water fall noise as a clue to add more water. The worse it got the more I knew I had to do it
That is so true. i filled the tank becuase the noise, not becuase i the fish need it to live in
It would be cool to have a school of fish in my tank, im not a fan of the 1 cm big fish though. I like looking at the koi, they are there... small fish they are just meh... not really a presence. it would be cool if they sold adult fish, like big enough for me to enjoy but not 2 feet long.

And rofl to the crack joke in the previous post. i rolled past that in my quick skim, got a text from a friend and started laughing when it registered in my head moments later. +1 for delayed reaction.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah the school fish are different but it's cool as **** when you have a school of 8 fish and another school of 6 different fish and 4 or 5 other individuals swimming around.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #14

I took a Marine Biology class last semester, the classroom had a huge tank, like 500g+ gallons and it had a couple schools of fish. It was pretty awesome. it also had live coral and stuff so thats way out of my reach but i stared aat that two hours a day. So i know what you mean. it is pretty cool seeing that. on a side note on topic, i guess im going "dumbster" diving tomorrow (see what i did their) and retrieving that old filter. i dont know though, its not exactly the best after 2+ years. Its a cheapy. Nothing like the Penguin.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I went salt water, it costs more to get all the stuff but all the little things you see that you didn't know were there are worth it.

As far as the filters go what you pay for is what you get. That one cost me like 40 or 50 bucks I think. I've seen them not to long ago but it was called a emperor or something I think.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Yeah I went salt water, it costs more to get all the stuff but all the little things you see that you didn't know were there are worth it.

As far as the filters go what you pay for is what you get. That one cost me like 40 or 50 bucks I think. I've seen them not to long ago but it was called a emperor or something I think.
i spent $80 on my fluval two days ago. I thought i was stepping it up and just biting the bullet but i guess i was wrong. Im not buying that same one, ill prolly just get another cheapy.

In a side thought though, While it may be a rule of thumb to have a tank full of fish to have 10xtank size... That ignores the variable on the fish. While its true my fish do poo a lot, their current size isnt exactly big (at the moment) so its not really a lot. Ive got 3 fish in their about 6inches big including tail. i do monitor the ammonia rates before i just "cycled" (so i guess that doesnt count as much now) Every week or so i stick in a strip and nitrate and nitrite are always white. if i had 8 regular gold fish out putting their normal poo, id prolly need the 10x because of the output but situationally the current size of the fish, and the low number of them, the one filter will probably work. volume of poo now is (im making up numbers to explain my theory) 2cm^3 rather then 6cm^3. Im still going to do what you guys say, im just battling it out in my head though.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whoa I thought thoes were good. I would bring it back and get a new one I ya could. The bio load you got isn't really much to really worry about.
I've drove my self completely nuts with all thoes tests you can get. It always seems like something is to high and I gota fix it. Which just ends up sucking more money outa my pocket. I've found it's cheaper and less stresful to just let things take there course. Ya win some, ya lose some. Just learn something from it and it's worth what ever dumped into it.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Whoa I thought thoes were good. I would bring it back and get a new one I ya could. The bio load you got isn't really much to really worry about.
I've drove my self completely nuts with all thoes tests you can get. It always seems like something is to high and I gota fix it. Which just ends up sucking more money outa my pocket. I've found it's cheaper and less stresful to just let things take there course. Ya win some, ya lose some. Just learn something from it and it's worth what ever dumped into it.
lol, the reason i got koi fish is my dad said they live in ponds and stuff so they are a pretty good beginner fish. Even if i had problem they would live through it which probably has been right. i guess letting my dad tell me things isnt good cuz the other day when i did change everything he cussed me out for buying a couple gallons of purified water and told me that ph didnt matter. We have a well, which apparently has the ph (acidity) of above 8.8 (which was the highest reading my liquid stuff could show) and the reading in the holding tank for my fish was 6.4 (that water came from the tank before i dumped it out) lol, i think that would have been bad if i just threw em in that acid bath. even after a whole bottle of ph down it was off the charts 8.8+. My whole 55g tank is basically purified water. diluted it with 2 tank inches of my water and then it was 7.0 that 2 inches also turned the tank water to very hard. Why i just told you that is beyond me, i forgot at this point but i hope you enjoyed it.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

You have a pleco (what your sucker/carfish is) not at CAE (chinese algae eater).

If you think about it - 3 6in goldfish (same amount of waste as your fish) in a 55g tank is one fish off being fully stocked. Your fish are going to get much bigger so filtering 10x (at the very minimum 8x) an hour is really needed.

I've just bought (just arrived by mail 10mins ago! Excited!) a new canister filter for my goldfish rated for 12x The tanks volume an hour for $70 on eBay.

What is your taps normal pH? To test leave a cup of water to degas over night then check. Changing pH is dangerous for fish. It causes stress and stress can lead to illness. So I high stable pH is way better than a constantly changing or chemically altered on. pH altering chemicals can actually poison fish.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome, thanks for joining AA!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com