Hi from Arkansas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HogFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I started a saltwater tank a while back and needless to say it didnt end well. No great surprise I guess since its difficult to do a reef tank without any aquarium experience so I have decided to switch over to a freshwater tank, most probably a planted tank.

I was running my reef tank with a 20 gallon sump under my 55 gallon DT, 2 heaters in the sump, a 450 gph powerhead, a turf algae scrubber in the sump, an overflow and a return pump. Now I am trying to decide which setup I want to go with for the new tank.

First off welcome!
You will need to empty the tank, scrub everything, then cycle your 'new' freshwater tank
Then you can work on a stock

Hello everyone! I started a saltwater tank a while back and needless to say it didnt end well. No great surprise I guess since its difficult to do a reef tank without any aquarium experience so I have decided to switch over to a freshwater tank, most probably a planted tank.

I was running my reef tank with a 20 gallon sump under my 55 gallon DT, 2 heaters in the sump, a 450 gph powerhead, a turf algae scrubber in the sump, an overflow and a return pump. Now I am trying to decide which setup I want to go with for the new tank.
Welcome to Aquarium Advice, where experienced aquarist meet newbies!

Scrub, wash, scrub again. Cycle the tank. Make sure to start out with easy fish such as most Tetras, some danios, and livebearers.

If going planted, you will need fertilizers, a good light, and a bit of determination. Start with the easy plants such as Anacharis, Java Fern, Java Moss, Wisteria, etc.

We are happy to help with any questions you have regarding your new tank!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice, where experienced aquarist meet newbies!

Scrub, wash, scrub again. Cycle the tank. Make sure to start out with easy fish such as most Tetras, some danios, and livebearers.

If going planted, you will need fertilizers, a good light, and a bit of determination. Start with the easy plants such as Anacharis, Java Fern, Java Moss, Wisteria, etc.

We are happy to help with any questions you have regarding your new tank!
Not all tetras are easy to care for-rummynoses for example. It doesn't really matter how "easy" the fish is as long as they do proper maintenance and know how to care for it. They could easily keep a pair of bolivian rams happy in a 20g, and they're not as "easy". The ultimate factor deciding how "hard" a fish is to keep is how much research on the fish they have done.

Not all tetras are easy to care for-rummynoses for example. It doesn't really matter how "easy" the fish is as long as they do proper maintenance and know how to care for it. They could easily keep a pair of bolivian rams happy in a 20g, and they're not as "easy". The ultimate factor deciding how "hard" a fish is to keep is how much research on the fish they have done.
That's why I said MOST tetras. Not ALL. And I was just saying the easiest fish that came to mind.

phoenixkiller said:
I did mention livebearers. Endlers pretty much are guppies, I like those. Too bad I only have Yellow Tigers.

Livebearers are awesome. And you get to have babies too. I discourage tetras, my personal experience with all tetras has been horrible, but some are really cool

Livebearers are awesome. And you get to have babies too. I discourage tetras, my personal experience with all tetras has been horrible, but some are really cool
I just posted on a thread about Cardinal and Neon tetras. I never had ANY problems with Neons, but no one locally could keep Cardinals alive. I hear the opposite from people a lot though. I personally say it's hit or miss.

Welcome hog fan! Great baseball game today! I've had equal luck with neons and cardinals. I might can hook you up with some plants to start with... Don't forget the ferts and co2

Back
Top Bottom