Hi from British Columbia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm Dan, and I live in Port Coquitlam, BC. I'm new to the boards but am not a new aquarium owner - I've had tanks set up ever since I was a kid (and I'm nowhere near being a kid now). Two years ago I moved to my own condo and set up my 100 gallon tank again. I've had this tank for about 15 years and it still looks as new and pristine as the day I bought it.

I've had everything from guppies to tiger oscars in it, but when I set it up this time, I bought myself a pleco and 5 Mickey Mouse platties and that's where it's been for about the last 6 or 7 months. I'll have some pictures to upload as soon as I get home from my office this afternoon if anyone is interested in seeing my setup.

I do have a couple of questions though. With all of the recent hype about earthquakes around the world and locally, I know that British Columbia is prone to earthquakes, but not as many or as large as in other parts of the world like California, and one of my major concerns is that if "the big one" happens in this area, it could cause a lot of damage, not to mention the amount of personal damage a tank with this much water in it could cause not only to my place but the people who live below me too. For those of you who live in earthquake prone parts of the world, what do you do to calm your fears of what "could" happen if your tank breaks during an earthquake? So far we've been pretty lucky and have not had any significant earthquakes to speak of in the last couple hundred years, but we've had some small to moderate tremors in the past. They say we're due for the big one at any time (it's actually way overdue). Since I have really nothing else that would cause a lot of damage to my apartment other than the water in the fish tank although I'd be a nervous wreck, my place is insured for damage, and depending on the severity I'd just have to do a major clean-up.

My concern is likely a result of a bit of paranoia, but I'd rather find out what I can do to help prevent so much water damage.

I hope to become a regular here, and to meet and interact with a lot of you online. Glad to me a member!

Thanks for any advice,
Dan

Welcome to AA! :) :)

Not sure about your question. I'm thinking in an earthquake, there isn't much you can do to minimize the water from a 100g tank in an apartment. Surpised they let you have it there. Or did they???? :)

Hi Ray, yes, aquariums are allowed. Two of my neighbours are on the Strata Council and they love coming in and looking at all of my fish, so no one has any complaints yet...

Back
Top Bottom