Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi from central CA

Hey! Just registered. I've been interested in setting up my own sw tank for a while now and finally got my wife to agree to let me do it. I live on Vandenberg AFB.

For my first tank I'm going to set up a Fluval Spec 2 gal tank. I know it's easier to run a large tank when you first start but I am limited by space and the fact that I'm probably going to move in a few years. (that and my wife is nervous about me taking up a new hobby)

I've read a lot about setting up a sw tank already and I'm lucky that I have a lfs within 30 minutes of my house and an actual ocean within 15 minutes (thinking of trying to pull my water from there)

I'm open to advice and I look forward to learning a lot from the other forum members. Does anyone have any good first time advice?

65 gallon freshwater | 14 neon tetras | 6 emerald cories | 2 zebra nerites | 5 guppies | 2 dwarf gouramis | 1 bulldog pleco | 1 golden apple | 1 bamboo shrimp | water wisteria | java fern | anubias nana | java moss
Iodizedfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!

I don't know if you've seen this yet or not but here's something to always read up on: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Also don't pull any water from the ocean. The only place that pumps seawater into their aquariums is Monterey Bay. There are some nasty things in the ocean that can't really hurt fish in the ocean but can seriously damage things in the aquarium. Plus nowadays there's no where where water isn't polluted unless you go far out away from an urban area.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA!!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
SW REEF 15+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. We are glad you found us here at AA.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com