Hi from England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crippsy999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all rich here from not so sunny warwickshire, england. Jst got bak into freshwater aquariums- at the mo I'm cycling my 135l tank been cycling now 4 about 5 days using the prawn method but now have managed to order up so ammonia do hopefully things will b alot less smelly!! :) what do u think I should stock it with?? I already have a tiny angel, and a school of 10 neon tetras ( in another tank that has been cycled) thanks!!

Hiya Rich. Have you used media from your cycled tank to speed up the new cycle? I'm sure that will help! I'm currently on day 6 of my 125 litre tank. How are your levels looking? Do you have a liquid tester kit?

I'm thinking of:

10 Neons
6 Zebra Danios
Maybe a couple of Feamle Bettas
Bristlenose Pleco
And possibly a single Blue or Gold Gourami (if there are no problems with other fish!)

Phil

Hey Phil, yer I've got a test kit, I've got a nutrafin full test but not 2 happy with it so ordered up a API master kit, all levels are at 0 at the moment. Yes I used some of my old filter media. How long before I start seeing ammonia? I've got 4 prawns in there, but ammonia has been dispatched now so hopefully I'll have it any day now. What are your levels?? And fish in or fish out??

Hi Rich,

Seems us newbies have to help each other out! lol

I have the Nutrafin kit too, although I have heard the API one might be better. It's good that you have been able to use the old filter media. From what I've been reading that should help a lot. It seems a bit odd that you don't have any reading yet though. From what i've read about the prawn method, it takes longer than using ammonia, so it's good you've ordered some of that.

I'm doing a fishless fish out cycle, as I believe it's the only ethical way of going about it. I know some people have different opinions, but we wouldn't put our pet cat through a months worth of toxins, even if they were low. But each to their own!

My readings as of yesterday (day 7) were:

Ammonia: 1.3ppm (or mg/l on nutrafin, same as ppm) This was after initially starting at roughly 5ppm.
Nitrites: 0.3ppm
NitrAtes: 5ppm

As the ammonia had dropped, I decided to add a further 3ml of Homebase Ammonia to bring the level back to roughly 4ppm. I'm going to retest now to see if there has been any difference.......

The levels on day 8 (today) are:

Ammonia: roughly 3.5ppm maybe? It's hard to read the colours sometimes, plus it's been less than 24 hours. But it does look a bit lower.
Nitrites: Appear to be edging towards 0.5ish
NitrAtes: Maybe about 6-7ppm

As I say, considering I haven't left it that long, I guess there wouldn't be too much difference. But definitely a small noticeable one!

Let me know how yours is looking!

Back
Top Bottom