Hi from NC North Dakota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNorsk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 19 tanks set up.

Mostly guppies, bristlenose catfish, bloddy mary and blue dream neocardinia shrimp, and a small tank that is hard to get at of Hawaiian red shrimp.

Major project is working on coloring up female guppies, want to make a full red of both sexes. Dragons too.

Have a bunch of new L144 bristlenoses and a couple more females are plumping.

Plants are mostly vallersnaria which is for the bristlenoses to clean, java moss and subwassertang.

Culture nematodes and a few brine shrimp for live foods.

Work as an agricultural consultant so I bring a soils background into my aquariums.

My water is hard and a bit unusual because it has phosphates added to make sure people with old pipes don’t drink lead.

I must rely on snails and bristlenoses or else the java moss get covered with algae. Ramshorn snails everywhere.

As a breeder, my filters are undergravel and sponge.

I can’t afford their prices for ash from a power plant. Have volcanic ash I could go and just dig out of the hillside that would strip out phosphates and nitrates. Thought about it, even thought about selling it. We have used it on a couple lakes.

Also have power plants happy to getrid of ash butthey probably want to deal in semiloads. Could just go to my local redi-mix plant and get however much I want.

You would think I would be scraping algae all the time. In actual practice, I’ve learned to manage things so that is actually extremely rare. I get one flush after first cycle and that is pretty much that though I can induce with antibiotics.

My tanks aren’t pretty.

Back
Top Bottom