Hi from novice with 2 tanks..... and many questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randyneppl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for allowing me to be part of your forum.

I have had a 9-gallon BiOrb for a number of years and usually just keep 3-5 male guppies. (I recently bought 3 more guppies, so I had 6, but within 2 weeks, 2 died. I just got a water testing kit and have -- GH 180; KH 50ish; pH 6 or 6.5; NO2 0.5; and NO3 80. I assume pH should be higher and am trying to replace water. Any other suggestions??? What should these numbers be??)

I also recently bought a ten gallon tank and some goldfish (and one cool looking 2-3 inch white fish). The person at the store said it was no problem. I then researched and realized that this white fish (called a golden dojo loach) will grow to be 9 inches and should be in a min. of 29-gallons. So, thanks to Craigs list, I just bought a 29-gallon and 55 gallon tank. (My loach needs loach friends, so I don't think the 29 gallon will ultimately be big enough.) I set up the 29-gallon tank today and plan to transfer the 3 goldfish and dojo loach to it soon. (How long should I wait?).

Thanks!

Hello! Welcome.... You have joined an excellent site for info. I m a relative newbie too, and so hope some experienced members jump in here but I ll get ya started :).
First , start a thread with your most pressing issue as the subject.
For now tho, what type of test kit do you have?
Before you move the fish, make sure the new tank is cycled.
Also, goldfish like cooler temps (lower 70 s) & most loaches are considered tropical & like higher temps (78-80).
Just cruise this site, use search & absorb as much info as possible. We ll help ya ....

One suggestion is if you don't have the API master liquid test kit is to buy it it is the best one out there it is about 30 bucks

One suggestion is if you don't have the API master liquid test kit is to buy it it is the best one out there it is about 30 bucks

+1 on the API test kit. Anybody who is serious about this hobby should have one and test their water on a regular basis. Your fish are only as healthy as your water paremeters.

Back
Top Bottom