Hi from Ny, i could use some help PLZ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wassdevil

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there...where do i begin? Well i guess for starts im a 28 f ny. I recently purchased all the fixins for a 10 gallon tank for my son for Christmas. I remember the joy that an aquarium brought me back when i was young so i decided to do the same for him. Everything is going ok, i kept fish buying easy. I bought a male beta (he's beautiful) i also purchased some neon tetras (5) and zebra fish (4). Immediately one neon died and then zebra fish died off one by one. :( They didn't look sick! Well, the tank was looking a little empty plus the cheapo lid/light took a crap already so i decide to replace the light and buy some more fish. I didn't realize how expensive a little tank can get! I bought a yellow algae eater and 4 of these awesome little golden fish with black spots on the sides of their body and a black stripe right at the end of their tail just before the tail fin, does anyone know what they are? I would really like to look them up and learn about them. Also my beta is irritating, he likes to swim super close to the algae eater till he just about hits him and then the algae eater chases him, is that normal? Actually the beta does really weird things. (purposely trying to squeeze into tight places) Sometimes i get worried he's stuck and should i go help him? I don't remember tank life being so complicated! Any tips please message me. And yes i used AquaSafe to neutralize the tank! ;)

Have you tested the water? I had the same problem before my tank was properly cycled. I had to test and water change every day.
Most of the experts on here will want water parameters. Just as suggestion...

I dont mean to sound dumb but i have no idea what that means, i have to buy a water testing kit for a freshwater aquarium? wow

Welcome :)

Research, research, research.

You need a testing kit, to do lots of water changes, to get your tank cycling without killing more/all of your fish, and to research what fish you buy when you get them, for starters.

What filter are you running? Is the tank heated?

A betta is generally a solitary fish, not a community fish.

Get reading... fishkeeping is not just tank + water + fish. The articles here (click on 'Articles' up under the banner) have a lot of good info.

Last edited:
If you remember from high school biology, the whole nitrogen cycle thing. Fish poop>>ammonia>>nitrites>>nitrates. Ammonia is the most toxic, and that is what is probably killing your fish. Eventually the bacteria will catch up, but yes, you'll need to change the water pretty frequently to keep the fish alive. A master text kit costs around $20, and the betta/neon combo might not work out, as bettas are normally aggressive (there are exceptions) Once you get past this first hump, it gets incredibly easier, so keep at it.

Also if you could get a picture of the mystery fish it'd be helpful, if not, possibly the shape.

goldfish (coldwater fish) and bettas (tropical fish) do not belong in a same tank...
and 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank is too many...they will produce so much waste
many algae eaters usually get really big...
man these are so many bad news...
and when you get a test kit get the liquid type not the strip kinds...

i got into this hobby not too long ago thinking "how hard fishkeeping can be"
well it is not hard but it is not as simple as tank + water + fish and yes i also found this out the hard way...but the more i learned about the fish the more i got drawn into this hobby

never walk into a LFS (local fish store) and get whatever fish that appears to be pretty...always do a thorough research about the fish (compatibility, hardiness, food requirement, temperature, etc)

dont get frustrated and start reading basic materials starting with Cycling the tank (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) below is a great article
The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

oh..and im also from new york...hello there neighbor
where in new york are you from im from queens

said :"goldfish (coldwater fish) and bettas (tropical fish) do not belong in a same tank...
and 4 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank is too many...they will produce so much waste
many algae eaters usually get really big...
man these are so many bad news...
and when you get a test kit get the liquid type not the strip kinds...

i got into this hobby not too long ago thinking "how hard fishkeeping can be"
well it is not hard but it is not as simple as tank + water + fish and yes i also found this out the hard way...but the more i learned about the fish the more i got drawn into this hobby

never walk into a LFS (local fish store) and get whatever fish that appears to be pretty...always do a thorough research about the fish (compatibility, hardiness, food requirement, temperature, etc)"

Wassdevil writes : thanks for all the help but i don't have goldfish in the tank!! The local fish store had the fish separated by groups, i didn't pick just "pretty fish" as you had said. I picked what was recommended out of the peaceful section. My male beta isn't attacking the other fish he just swims too close to the algae eater every once in awhile. I have had several beta's before and never had a problem with them getting along with the other fish. I am more frustrated with the rude comments then i am with the fish tank. I have never had an algae eater grow huge on me before and (for the gold looking fish)the fish name that was wrote on the bag when i bought them was incorrect when i looked it up. I got them too out of the peaceful section and was reassured they are very peaceful and get along well with others and so far thats proven out to be accurate. I just want to know what they are. I have a filter that's good for 10-20 gallon tanks and a water heater. I keep a close eye on the temp and i i change about a 3rd of the water in the tank when i clean it. I just took some pic's of the tanks...thanks for all your help!
The fish in question Lisa and Kids 006.jpg
The tank Lisa and Kids 005.jpg
The pretty boy Lisa and Kids 007.jpg
Lisa%20and%20Kids%20005.JPG

The main thing, put fish compatability aside, is the aquariums cycle.
You can google that term for more info but basically bacteria will build up that will convert amonia to nitrite and then to nitrate.
The amonia is from fish waste and uneaten food and is very toxic to fish, Nitrite is just as bad, Nitrate is better and most fish can handle up to 40ppm (parts per million)
But with a new tank the bacteria that does the work is not there yet. It needs to grow and build up a colony. That takes on average 6-8 weeks. If you add a bacteria source weither it is a used filter media from an established tank or an over the counter supliment that will speed things up.
What to do about the deadly amonia and nitrite until the cycle is done?
Well it is very important to keep both below 1ppm (0.5ppm is better) that can be done with regular partial water changes. Some water conditioners will also remove some of the amonia and nitrite. Seachem Prime and Amquel Plus are 2 such products.
You would also need a test kit to keep an eye on those levels before it gets too bad for your fish. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit.
You can also take samples to your local aquarium supply for testing but testing really needs to be done at least every other day while cycling.

sorry i misread golden fish to goldfish
i only said "buying the prettiest" fish because i did that and bought 2 crayfish and 5 goldfish and i ended up killing everybody
and never trust the local fish store employees, a group of employees were trying to sell me 2 common plecos when i told them my 10 gallon tank needed algae eaters

no intention of being rude..if i was being rude i apologize

but buy the test kit ASAP and test your water parameters and do frequent partial water changes to keep ammonia nitrite nitrate down

Back
Top Bottom