Hi from sw fl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM8560

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, my names Mike, I just got a 26 gallon salt water tank started.I had a 10 FW tank a long time ago as a teen. I just bought what the local store recomended and set it up using a crushed coral substrate. and mixed the salt. that was kinda hard as it said to mix a pound and a half to 5 gallons of water all i had was a bathroon scale to judge 1 1/2 lb.
any way it seemed to work. put some rock structure in from the store and a few silk plants to start. after a week i bought some fish yesterday 6 damsels. 4 bright blue with yellow tails and 3 that look like the sheepshead we catch on pileings here in florida. also bought a yellow tang though the cleck said it wasnt a good idea. anyway I look forward to learning all i can here folks. :D

First of all WElCOME to AA!!!
The way i measure my salt is 1 1/2 cup of salt mixes 4 gallons of water.
Next is how long has the tank been setup? Has it cycled? Did you do a fishless cycle? Cause it doesn't sound like you have any live rock to start a cycle process.If not those fish are at the risk of dying.

If there was no cycle process get ready to do a whole lot of PWC's .

Hi Jose the tank was running for a week. im not sure about the cycle. the store said the crushed coral bed would be better to start the tank. how would i tell if it cycled? my fish all seem happy but i havnt seen the yellow tang eat. the clecrk said to put sew weed salad strips on the suction clip in the tank but they dont seem to like it. the damsals eat the tetrmin saltwater flakes fine though.

Back
Top Bottom