Hi from the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jondamon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey folks

Jon here, I currently have a 35 litre cold water aquarium with 6 zebra danios 1 leopard danio and 2 loaches. Currently using fluval U2 filter in my tank along with a small eheim aqua ball which I'm using phosvec as the media to help remove phosphates which are already found in my municipal water supply.

I have also just come home from my LFS and I'm feeling a lot lighter in the pocket now as I've just purchased my NEW aquarium.

Fluval Roma 200 with oak cabinet. I have upgraded the fluval u4 filter to a fluval 206 external filter, added an AquaGro Co2 expert set, some sera floredepot substrate, sera florena plant fert, marina digital thermometer and an API master testing kit.

My new aquarium will be delivered this week and then I can begin my designing phase.

The 35 litre tank has been in my house for the last 3 yrs but the wife was looking after it until she started to get fish dying. I then took over and quickly found the issues she was having were due to her poor water maintainence. This was approximately 6months ago.

Now I'm hooked and I'm upgrading from 35 litres up to 200litres.

It's only going to be a tropical tank nothing too daring with my existing danios and loaches along with some barbs, tetras and some invertebrates eg amano shrimps, and maybe a couple of other fish.

Anyway I've rambled for far too long. Thanks for reading and I can't wait to get my new tank cycled and in use.

Jon

Hey folks.

Just thought I would update and let everyone know that my new tank arrived today.

I will be putting the whole thing together today cabinet and tank.

Tomorrow I will be cleaning the tank with warm water and beginning to set everything up.

I will be seeding my new filter with some biomax from my existing fluval U2 filter. I also plan on doing a fishless cycle using ammonia which I am getting from work.

I have read quite a few different methods of fishless cycling from the raw prawn, to fish flakes and have also read about fish in cycling too.

I am going to try the fishless cycling using ammonia as from what I have read this way gives you the best bacterial colony.

But I am open to any suggestions that other AA members may want to share regarding cycling.

Cheers

Jon

Cheers mumma.

It's some of your links that I've used for cycling research. So thank you very much.

One quick question if you don't mind.

I have 2 18000k flouro tubes at 30w each. Would I be right in thinking that if I plan on a planted tank that I'm going to need something around the 6400k colour spectrum to promote veg growth from plants in the tank?

Thnx

Jon

jondamon said:
Cheers mumma.

It's some of your links that I've used for cycling research. So thank you very much.

One quick question if you don't mind.

I have 2 18000k flouro tubes at 30w each. Would I be right in thinking that if I plan on a planted tank that I'm going to need something around the 6400k colour spectrum to promote veg growth from plants in the tank?

Thnx

Jon

Your right 6500k is the ideal spectrum but anything from 5000-10000K grows plants.

Hey everyone.

Just thought I would post a pic of my test results from my API master test kit.

This test was taken from my 35litre tank which is home to 6 zebra danios 1 leopard danio and 2 sucking loaches.

pH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Am I reading the test properly anyone?

Jon

View attachment 84428

Hi Jon! Thats a nice Fluval set up! I think your ammonia reading is .25 ppm everything else you have for readings I would agree with.
I your have read that your Danios are very hardy fish and are great for a "fish cycle". Please don't take my advice on that! I am still new and have only had a 29 gallon set up for 6 weeks!

I know the danios are hardy enough fish for a fish in cycle but with the new fluval Roma 200 I plan on fishless cycling the tank using ammonia that I got from work.

I have already picked up some matured siporax for my fluval 206 canister filter. Its currently oxygenating while I clean out the new tank and place all my substrate in.

I think I agree slightly on the ammonia reading of my 35litre tank. I don't think it's quite green enough to be 0.25 but it's not quite yellow enough to be zero.

Thanks for commenting.

Jon

I am intrigued by the idea of a fishless cycle. I was only mentioning the hardiness of your fish for adding them after the tank is cycled. Are you planning to migrate your current inhabitants into the 200litre?

Yes I do plan on moving them.

Once the 200 is cycled I also plan on adding the U2 filter from my 35litre into the 200. Just incase I ever have to open a hospital tank. That way I have a filter ready to drop straight in.

Thought I would attach a pic of setup so far.

View attachment 84447

View attachment 84448

Cheers! So the idea is to add ammonia, and then allow the tank to operate under controlled settings and the nitrate and nitrites cycle will begin naturally. Once it is basically zero'd out (ammonia ppm, nitrite ppm and nitrate ppm) you can integrate your Danio's and have a beautiful 200L tank operating?

So for the last couple of hours I have been dosing my tank with ammonia trying to raise the ppm up to 4ppm. I have tried to do this gradually using around 8 drops of ammonia every 30 mins. Currently the ammonia level is right around 3ppm

View attachment 84543

The pH is 8.6

View attachment 84544

Current temperature 24C/75F

View attachment 84545

View attachment 84546

I'm about to add a further 8 drops of ammonia.

My assumption is that the higher ammonia levels in my tank are causing the pH to be higher than it was going into the tank.

Jon

Hey folks.

Well it's a whole new day here at Jon's house.

After my family (wife, son, niece, nephew and sister in law) and I have been swimming I shall be going to my LFS to start buying my plants and decorations for my tank.

I also need to pick up an instruction manual for my AquaGro Co2 setup as there wasn't any in the box. So I have all these lovely little glass tubes etc and don't know how they all fit together. Lol.

Current temp of my tank is 27.6C. I am raising the temp as high as I can right now to help BB colonise quicker.

I do have one question for the good ppl of AA.

My tank has a cover which once I installed the canister filter intake and outtake tubes the back lid will not close. Do I just cut a small section away from my lid to make room for the tubes.

Pic attached.

View attachment 84638

Back
Top Bottom