Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi from Western PA

We have a 60 gal tank that we bought 3 years ago, with a crappy filter. We are in our mid to late 60's and new to the fish world. But we've researched and have done the best we can. We started with 6 Angels, 4 white 'catfish' (I know that's not the proper name), 4 gray 'catfish' and one pleco.

We now have 4 angels (2 male, 2 famales), all the 'catfish' and a pleco that is about 9 inches long now.

2 days ago we bought an external filter and it cleaned up the tank more than we could have believed.

Now that we have it cleaned up, we are wondering if we should/could add a few more fish. But we don't know what kind. We are thinking some middle of the tank swimmers that could get along with all the others?

It's so pretty and clean, I don't want to upset the applecart.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome!

You might get away with a small school of dither fish. Centrepiece display sounds taken with angelfish and bottom looks fully stocked. Might be a good idea to find out what type the pleco is as they can get big.

This site may help research

http://www.aqadvisor.com

Old 11-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm guessing you are talking about Cory catfish. If so I think you could get away with adding an additional school of 6 full bodied tetra (there are several to choose from). The small slender ones could be eaten by your Angels. Your tank would be maxed out at this point in my opinion.

I agree with Delapool, you should figure out what type of pleco you have. According to the size you gave im guessing he may very well be a common pleco which could be a problem.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
I'm guessing you are talking about Cory catfish. If so I think you could get away with adding an additional school of 6 full bodied tetra (there are several to choose from). The small slender ones could be eaten by your Angels. Your tank would be maxed out at this point in my opinion.

I agree with Delapool, you should figure out what type of pleco you have. According to the size you gave im guessing he may very well be a common pleco which could be a problem.

The Pleco is about 8 inches long. Yes, Cory catfish.

Are there Tetra that could hold their own? Maybe I should just leave it as it is since it seems to be working out so well?
Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hard to say how Angelfish will react. I keep them and find them to be unpredictable. It really depends on the temperament of the particular Angels you have. I keep black skirt tetras with my Angel at the moment. I have kept Angels with lemon tetras and Congo tetras. I've always put them together as juveniles which might be why I've had more success than others but nothing I've tried to prove. Congo's technically shouldn't be with Angels because they are considered fin nippers but I never experienced that. They actually left each other alone. If your male and female pairs of Angels breed it may make them aggressive towards fish swimming in the area they are protecting. IME, tetras were always fast enough to get away and hid well during this time. With all this being said, I've experimented with keeping several fish together that shouldn't. Sometimes it works and often times it doesn't. You can see numerous videos on YouTube of people successfully keeping fish together that others would advise against. It just proves that temperament isn't always the standard for every single fish in a species.

If you are happy with what you have and you don't want to add new tank mates and give it a shot then by all means, keep it how it is.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Hard to say how Angelfish will react. I keep them and find them to be unpredictable. It really depends on the temperament of the particular Angels you have. I keep black skirt tetras with my Angel at the moment. I have kept Angels with lemon tetras and Congo tetras. I've always put them together as juveniles which might be why I've had more success than others but nothing I've tried to prove. Congo's technically shouldn't be with Angels because they are considered fin nippers but I never experienced that. They actually left each other alone. If your male and female pairs of Angels breed it may make them aggressive towards fish swimming in the area they are protecting. IME, tetras were always fast enough to get away and hid well during this time. With all this being said, I've experimented with keeping several fish together that shouldn't. Sometimes it works and often times it doesn't. You can see numerous videos on YouTube of people successfully keeping fish together that others would advise against. It just proves that temperament isn't always the standard for every single fish in a species.

If you are happy with what you have and you don't want to add new tank mates and give it a shot then by all means, keep it how it is.

I so appreciate all the thoughts and ideas! I think I'll just leave it as it is since it is 'working' for all of them.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com