Hi guy's- im new here and need some ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STYLO_23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i've never been on a forum before but i'm here to talk fish and diy stuff.
Here in my city theres little to no fish stuff we have one fish store and 3 petco/petsmarts. Right now i'm here to get ideas for a new 29 gallon i just got done fixing from a dumpster dive i did at petsmart.

Welcome! What are you interested in? Freshwater, saltwater, brackish, tropical, cold water, etc?

Hi
Spacefish42 i like all waters all fish but for this tank im thinking freshwater community tank i have a ton of corydoras that just came out of their eggs so im looking for good tank mates. Any ideas?

Hey deelee2013
Hmm my ultimate favorite fish is a ranchu goldfish. But for this tank i dont want goldfish since they produce heavy waste. Im okay with any level of fish i just dont want anything to large or aggressive, since i want a community type tank.

Thats what i was thinking too, but you think it would be fine to add some yellow lab cichlids?

Thats what i was thinking too, but you think it would be fine to add some yellow lab cichlids?

Probably not good to mix mbuna with cories. As the labs grow, a 29 gallon will be cramped, they're better off in a 55.

What would you suggest for a community tank, i want fish that pop.

What would you suggest for a community tank, i want fish that pop.

For a colorful 29g tank, I would go for the following:

Dark substrate to help the fish stand out!

6-10 Neon or Cardinal Tetras (bright blue and red)

6-10 Harlequin rasboras (red and black)

4-6 male fancy guppies in any variety of colors

This will give you a good selection of color! Just personal opinion, of course. Once the tank is well established, maybe add some bright red cherry shrimp? Or yellow ones?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

No, i am speaking from experience with these fish. Before anyone frowns at me this experience is what changed my fish keeping ways. I had 3 yellow labs, 2 common pleco, 5 rosy barbs, and 1 rainbow shark in a 29 gallon. When I took down the tank to make it a community tank, I had 1 cichlid and 1 male rosy barb.

Moral of the story...yellow lab cichlids are not good for 29 gallon tanks, and always do research before you buy anything be it coral, plant, or fish.

I agree with the other suggestions for stocking though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For a colorful 29g tank, I would go for the following:

Dark substrate to help the fish stand out!

6-10 Neon or Cardinal Tetras (bright blue and red)

6-10 Harlequin rasboras (red and black)

4-6 male fancy guppies in any variety of colors

This will give you a good selection of color! Just personal opinion, of course. Once the tank is well established, maybe add some bright red cherry shrimp? Or yellow ones?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish
Thanks deelee you read my mind. I have a lfs guy thats ready to order any fish i'd like in the tank. I've had guppies before but they all ended up killing each other??? Whats a good male to female ratio 1 to 3? Also what fish do you like and keep?

Since you're undecided I'd suggest either Googling 'stocking a freshwater 29 gallon tank', or even search this site. Lots of helpful folks here!

Personally I'd go kind of the traditional route: 1 large group of schoolers, some sort of bottom feeder, and a centerpiece fish.

I'd don't remember reading if you mentioned this: are you planning to do live plants?

No, i am speaking from experience with these fish. Before anyone frowns at me this experience is what changed my fish keeping ways. I had 3 yellow labs, 2 common pleco, 5 rosy barbs, and 1 rainbow shark in a 29 gallon. When I took down the tank to make it a community tank, I had 1 cichlid and 1 male rosy barb.

Moral of the story...yellow lab cichlids are not good for 29 gallon tanks, and always do research before you buy anything be it coral, plant, or fish.

I agree with the other suggestions for stocking though

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yeah for sure lol. Thats what im doing here on this forum, its nice to have other fish people to talk too. Thanks for your kind words of wisdom :)

Since you're undecided I'd suggest either Googling 'stocking a freshwater 29 gallon tank', or even search this site. Lots of helpful folks here!

Personally I'd go kind of the traditional route: 1 large group of schoolers, some sort of bottom feeder, and a centerpiece fish.

I'd don't remember reading if you mentioned this: are you planning to do live plants?
It could go either way for me at this point "live plants or fake plants" i have my income tax money rolling in soon so im ready haha. What would you suggest as a centerpiece fish?

Back
Top Bottom