Hi!! Help/advice wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leesun87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I downloaded this app for some advice on my fishs behaviour. My female swordtail seems to be hiding behind plants etc and laying on the bottom of the tank? Any help would be much appreaciated

I have tested and i have high nitites. I have already had a female die ( i am assuming due to this ) but u have some filter media covered in bacteria from the fish shop in my tank to help break down the waste and solve the problem. Could you suggest anything else for high nitrites?

Change 25-50% of your water. The seeded filter is helping if you have nitrites your cycle is progressing!

The guy in the store advises me not to do a water change yet as i have a new setup my filter has only been running for 4 weeks. I will do about a 25% change 2nyt. Thanks

Use a water conditioner like prime and make sure the water is the same temperature as the tank water.

Even smaller water changes will temporarily help the fish you see hiding by lowering the levels of nitrite. We don't want to remove too much water as we need enough nitrite in the water to feed the second colony of beneficial bacteria that has yet to develop in the filter which will (eventually) convert all nitrites into nitrAtes, a less toxic form.

Soon you won't see nitrites or ammonia at all, only nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom