Hi, I am Ernie from Denver, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erniemink

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to introduce myself. I am Ernie, age 44, from Denver, Colorado and I am pleased I found this site. I have not done fish tanks much in my life, but I like to mess around with sea monkeys or what is known as hybrid brine shrimp.

Maybe this seems strange or an oddity to some, I want to actually grow them in a 2 gallon tank, and need some advice. Since the regular sea monkey aquarium the kit comes with is only 12 ounces, I want to actually be able to use the water purifier and eggs in a 2 gallon aquarium. Since they have to be kept at a warmer temp so they last longer for an ideal environment and have plenty of oxygen, what kind of tank and features do you suggest for long life, good growth, cleaner water and without any devices or chemicals that would otherwise kill them? They do need some algae to live obviously being brine shrimp, but I do not want mucky water. I have heard good things about Sea Medic power from Transcience when necessary, but then at least 2 people said it can kill them or not work as good, and in a 2 gallon tank it would take more than 1 packet obviously I would thank when needed, or more than the amount for a 12 ounce selection. Since Sea Monkeys are in fact hybrid versions of regular brine shrimp, I am confused as to the talk of making the water salt like or adding a salt compound to the water when this is not even mentioned anywhere in the kit or about sea monkeys. if they need a certain temp, what do you recommend for that, similar to tropical fish? I would love avid respectful people who can help me do the right things the first time. Thank you for all your help!

Welcome to AA! I'm not really knowledgeable about keeping brine shrimp. I just know how to hatch them for live fish food. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Hi Ernie! I'm in Grand Junction, CO. I wont be much help with your Brine Shrimp project but it seems fascinating.

Have you considered a basic 2 gallon or a more commonly sized 2.5 gallon tank? You can get them for under 15 dollars with a lid. To keep the water clean try a sponge filter. It aerateds the tank and keeps it clean. Also, you don't have to worry about shrimps getting ducked up. I don't know about the babies though.. maybe you could wrap the sponge in pantyhose?

Also, you will have to adjust the amount of salt you put in to keep the concentration the same, sorry, but I don't know this.

Good luck with your tank!

You will need some dechrolinator for the water if you use it from the tap. Also about the salt, I'm pretty sure that's what is in packet 1. Regular, non iodized table salt will work fine. Kosher or aquarium salt will probably be better because there are no anticaking compounds.

When fish get sick, they go in a hospital tank, so maybe if there are any problems with the sea monkeys, you could put them temporarily in a smaller, 12 Oz container and treat them there.

Hi!

Welcome! Nice to see another person from Colorado.

I can't be of any help on the Brine shrimp.

Might be better to post it in another section to target those who might know more about them, maybe "breeding" if your objective is primarily continued existence of your existing shrimp, or "General Discussion", maybe for info in general. Maybe even "Invertebrates."

Happy Brine Shrimp keeping!

Back
Top Bottom