Hi! I am inheriting a fish tank with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lalavonne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I am receiving a BiOrb 16 gallon tank from a family member. It will be coming with his fish and dwarf frogs. I did a lot of research on the BiOrb and found that the filtration system is not the best, so I am changing it. My question, how do I set up a new filter system with existing fish? When they bring the tank, they mentioned that they are bringing water as well, so I assume that we will be doing a complete water change. After reading about cycling the tank before adding fish, it concerns me. :blink:

I am a newbie to the hobby (haven't had an aquarium since I was a kid, and that wasn't the greatest experience, as we killed many an angel fish. :nono: (but reading all the forums, etc I can see why, too many angel fish in too small a tank).

I'm excited for this new venture, as well as a little overwhelmed. Would appreciate anyone's advice.

:thanks:
Lalavonne

Hi! I am receiving a BiOrb 16 gallon tank from a family member. It will be coming with his fish and dwarf frogs. I did a lot of research on the BiOrb and found that the filtration system is not the best, so I am changing it. My question, how do I set up a new filter system with existing fish? When they bring the tank, they mentioned that they are bringing water as well, so I assume that we will be doing a complete water change. After reading about cycling the tank before adding fish, it concerns me. :blink:

I am a newbie to the hobby (haven't had an aquarium since I was a kid, and that wasn't the greatest experience, as we killed many an angel fish. :nono: (but reading all the forums, etc I can see why, too many angel fish in too small a tank).

I'm excited for this new venture, as well as a little overwhelmed. Would appreciate anyone's advice.

:thanks:

Lalavonne

Hello, welcome in :)

You could run the new and old filter side by side if you have room. Perhaps using some filter material from the old filter to seed the new filter. Give it a few weeks to a month and you could try testing the water with the old filter off to see if the new filter is handling the bio-load ok (mainly ammonia production).

Do you have a liquid based test kit at all for water chemistry? Eg API freshwater master test kit.

Thanks for the advice! I will do that. As far as test kit, they are giving me all the supplies, if the liquid based test is t among them, I'm going to purchase that.

Lalavonne

Good luck! Heaps of people on the forum would be more familiar with different filter types as well. Options at fish stores here are fairly simple.

Back
Top Bottom