Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new here..my platy is giving birth as we speak and need help!

ok first of all i should introduce myself. My name is Lisa. I have a 50 gallon octagon fish tank with a variety of fish in it. 3 guppies, 4 platies, 4 phantoms, 1 clown loach, 1 red eye tetra, 2 red tail sharks, 1 gold gourami, 1 silver gouramis and an algae eater. i have had them all since last christmas except 1 a female platy i bought about a month ago. Needless to say she got pregnant right away now we are 31 days later.

also i purchased a 5 gallon tank last week for the fry to be in till they grow up.

My platy is having fry as we speak - can anyone help please?

i put my platy in breeder tank last night and when i woke up i seen a few fry. I immediately removed them so they wouldn't get eaten, to my surprise there were 9. I put mom in the breeding tank again so she could recuperate and she dropped 2 more within 5 minutes!!!

this is my first time having babies i am really excited but i am scared that i did something wrong by moving her since she had her 2 other babies she has been swiming iratically?

1. how do i know when she is all done (how long does it take for them to finish the delivery process)?

2. how many fry can i expect?

p.s she does not seem interested in eating her fish so far the 2 are still in there and i am not sure when i can take them out because i don't know if she is done? her belly is smaller than before and gravid spot smaller but its still there

nanookbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
welcome my bad i see you've already inter duced your self (told you to come and interduce your self here in your other thread) sorry. oh and you only need to post a thread once. welcome to the sight bye

mike47517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA!
AA Community Rules | AA TOS

Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Welcome to the site!
Lager is offline   Reply With Quote

birth, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com