Hi I'm a complete noob and I will take all the advice I can get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choinque

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_2494.jpg

I just got my 10 g tank a week ago. Never had fish before it's been mostly reptiles in my home. I'm super excited about getting into this but like I said I'm am a noooob. I've already gotten the water conditioned and stuff and have had fish in there for two days (not pictured). Apparently my tank is overstocked. I did order a new filter cause I can already tell the TopFin 10 filter is definitely not gonna do the job especially with the bio load, but with this new filter I honestly don't think my tank being "overstocked" is an issue as long as I can keep the water clean and on all the right levels (I need advice on water matinence for my fish) so I'll give y'all a list of them.

I have 3 mollys, a Dalmatian Lyretail (female), Silver (female), Gold & Black Lyretail (male) I can't remember what it was actually called.

I have 1 male sunburst platy.

I have 1 very small bristlenose pleco. I don't know his/her sex.

And I have 1 blue dwarf gourami (male) I love gouramis and especially this guy he's very laid back.

* I am not completely sure about the genders because I sexed them myself but from their personalities as well I'm pretty confident I did it correctly. Also they have all been very peaceful together. I feel as if they have plenty of space for the time being as long as they don't gain any inches, no aggression so far and the male molly hasn't harassed my females, but he is a fiesty little guy while all the other fish are very calm.

**Also I plan to get another tank in the future and actually plant it for my gouramis, yes it will be bigger. I also know my pleco isn't considered "good" for my tank cause they can grow up to 4 inches but by the time that happens I figured he'd be going into my bigger community tank once it's set up and since he's a bristlenose and wouldn't grow into a monster he'd be a good addition. Anyway..

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fill up the rest of the tank. Read everything you can about fish in cycling, because that's what you are in the middle of now. You'll be needing to do constant water changes, and you will need a bigger tank. Those fish are usually suggested for tanks 30 gallons and up. And with mollies, if you have a female, you will have more.

You made a great choice by coming here. Welcome aboard. I think Toad's advice about cycling is good advice

Fill up the rest of the tank. Read everything you can about fish in cycling, because that's what you are in the middle of now. You'll be needing to do constant water changes, and you will need a bigger tank. Those fish are usually suggested for tanks 30 gallons and up. And with mollies, if you have a female, you will have more.

I will get right on that [emoji1303]

You made a great choice by coming here. Welcome aboard. I think Toad's advice about cycling is good advice

Thank you I'm currently researching and writing notes, this seems like a good community so I'm excited to be apart of it!

I'd recommend getting a a live plant to help with the waste breakdown and keep your nitrate levels low, you cal also buy a bottle of liquid to help the ammonia level! I hope this helps.

I'd recommend getting a a live plant to help with the waste breakdown and keep your nitrate levels low, you cal also buy a bottle of liquid to help the ammonia level! I hope this helps.

Hi yes I've done that and it's been a couple of days with their new filter and they're doing great I was gonna add plants as soon as I can

Back
Top Bottom