Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2oo View Post
Are aqueon aquariums good and recommended?

Right now I'm looking at this tank because it includes a lot. Not exactly 30g tho.

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...AvailInUS%2FNo
I just set this this tank kit up as a saltwater and I really like the size. You are really getting a lot for your money with this kit, especially when you consider the T5 lighting. It's not top of the line, but it's pretty good to start with.

I would recommend you not use sand if you're a beginner. Find a good plant-friendly substrate that gets you the color, but allows you to vacuum it. Sand is tricky for a FW tank.

This may sound like a dumb question, but it is an error some newbies make (including me). When you do water changes, are you using a gravel vac or scooping out water? You should use a gravel vac/siphon to pull out all the uneaten food and poop.

CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I use a siphon/vacuum and hover it just above my sand. Decided to buy the tank and it is looking good. The bottom layer is a plant substrate that has gravel sized rocks. The top layer is super naturals sand. Tank looks barren now, but I will wait for plants to get taller. I have my fish in a bucket now with filter and heater. They are very pale and stressed. When should I put them in? Set up tank an hour ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-458591727.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	193090

Old 08-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Yeah I use a siphon/vacuum and hover it just above my sand. Decided to buy the tank and it is looking good. The bottom layer is a plant substrate that has gravel sized rocks. The top layer is super naturals sand. Tank looks barren now, but I will wait for plants to get taller. I have my fish in a bucket now with filter and heater. They are very pale and stressed. When should I put them in? Set up tank an hour ago.
Did you use any of the water, substrate, filter media, etc. from your old tank?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am using my old filter on the tub right now. I do have a new filter running tho with some of the biological nodes. I plan to move the old filter once the tank temperatures are same.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am using my old filter on the tub right now. I do have a new filter running tho with some of the biological nodes. I plan to move the old filter once the tank temperatures are same.
That's a tough call. They're stressed in their current environment, but the tank isn't cycled. To me, it's a risk either way. Basically, they're in a "new" tank now (the bucket). You might as well go ahead and acclimate them to the new tank temp/water and put them in. You can run both filters for a week or 2... Even permanently if you choose to. Your old filter is already colonized with the good bacteria you need, so run it. Monitor your numbers closely and don't let them get out if control.

You might consider getting some Fritzyme 7 at your LFS tomorrow and dosing the tank. Folks have mixed feelings about those types of products. They are designed to help colonize your aquarium with good bacteria faster than a normal cycle. I've had great luck with Fritzyme 7, and since your kinda stuck, it can't hurt to use it... It can only help.

A tip on plants: I like to use stem plants because when they get to tall, you can cut them and plant what you cut off as a new plant. Once you have the plants you like, you don't have to buy them any more, you just keep cutting and planting till your tank is nicely filled in. Plus, the old plant generally splits where you cut it and grows 2 stems. So... Now, you basically have 3 plants instead of 1.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as you kept the media wet from the old tank , you'll be fine ,might go threw a mini cycle but nothing crazy as in cycling a brand new tank

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just added the fish. Decided to keep them overnight in the tub so they wouldn't be too stressed of moving again. Thanks for all your help. I did notice that the sterbai cories are a bit pale, but I figure its cause they're stressed.

Name:	image-815713020.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	193206

Name:	image-309829617.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	193207
Old 08-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just added the fish. Decided to keep them overnight in the tub so they wouldn't be too stressed of moving again. Thanks for all your help. I did notice that the sterbai cories are a bit pale, but I figure its cause they're stressed.
Yep, they should be fine, it's awesome that you upgraded your tank so fast. You can add some more fish in there now also haha

10g saltwater
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah lol I was thinking about it for a long time and finally decided to do it. Just joined the forum to ask a couple questions. I was really excited
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yeah lol I was thinking about it for a long time and finally decided to do it. Just joined the forum to ask a couple questions. I was really excited
Awesome. That's a great. This hobby is addicting lol

10g saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com