Hi I'm completely new to aquariums!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wanting to get a few mollies for a ten gallon that I found on the side of the road! I'd like to get one male black Molly and two females (one white and one Dalmatian). I've done quite a bit if research and I've gathered some of what I need to get set up. I got marineland's water conditioner with all the added healthy stuff and I got the 5 in 1 test strips and I already had some aquarium salt (I heard they were brackish fish and that they needed a little aquarium salt). I even made my very one air line filter. I followed these directions:
I know that this filter will only provide mechanical and some biological filtration, so what else should I provide my mollies? I haven't put any water in yet because I'm going to start cycling the tank tomorrow. Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated and if I'm about to do something wrong please tell me!!! The last thing I want is dead fish. Keep in mind I already have years worth of experience with fish in ponds just not in aquariums which is why I joined. I hope to one day be a wise aquarist!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Nature Fish! Welcome! I began a journey exactly like yours then learned everything I was doing wrong and now I'm struggling to correct it and save my mollies.

Things I learned the hard way:
1. Mollies really need more space than 10 gallons. 30 gal is recommended. I'm struggling with mine in a 20 gal after starting them in a 5 gal. Yikes!
2. They are the MOST sensitive of the live bearers and need very well kept stable clean water. Slow acclimation is important and regular water changes a must!
3. If you buy females, they will most likely be pregnant and will have babies in your tiny tank.
4. Live plants will help keep your water parameters stable, but you can not use aquarium salt.
5. An API master test kit will be necessary in order for you to keep your water pristine. The strips really are not clear enough nor are they very reliable.
6. The Dalmatian mollies seem to be even more finicky than the rest. Perhaps wait to add the Dalmatian until the others have survived a few weeks.
7. Read, research and read more. The information on this site is amazing and everyone is very helpful.

Those are the big ones I've learned the hard way. I am absolutely loving this hobby, but I fell into it completely unsuspecting.

Best of luck with your tank. I love my mollies, but if I knew everything that I know now when I started, I would've had a much easier time and probably wouldn't have lost as many fish.

I hope this information is helpful and saves you much grief.

Thanks so much! Lol I posted this intro twice because I didn't see that it had sent. So I can't keep 3 mollies in a 10 gallon? I can't get another aquarium so what do recommend for a 10 gallon. In other words what kind of fish could be full grown and still be able to live in there comfortably?

The issue comes with not enough surface area for proper oxygenation of the water, also a 10 gallon is really limited on swim space for them as they are really active fish. These two issues can cause them stress and because they are so sensitive they may get sick and die. I'm relatively new at fish keeping, these are just the challenges that I've run into and people have advised me on.

Check out aquadvisor.com this is a great site for helping stock your tank with the appropriate fish for your size tank. You'll enter your tank size, filter, etc. and as you choose different stocking ideas, it breaks down %stocked, %filtration for the bioload of the fish. You can also select for it to allow only the recommended species for your tank.

Best of luck to you!!

I think neon tetras are the right fish for me! They seem sensitive but I think I can handle it.

Oh great! I hope they don't die... ?

I heard you have to get a few extra then you want since they don't make the trip home. I live about ten minutes away from petsmart.

As I type I'm cleaning out my ten gallon or at least what I think is a ten gallon.

My grandpa gave us his aquarium which is enormous!!!!! It's over 50 years old though. I'm sure with some sanding, re-staining and cocking it will be good as new! I hope to one day use it after I become more experienced. I want to get a parrot cichlid one day....

Ok turns out I can't get any fish because my aquarium leaks. It was probably a reptile thing and not an aquarium at any time. Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to buy an aquarium later in life.

I think the glass is going to be too thin. It might crack under pressure

I just got a real aquarium and its a 10 gallon!!!! My parents surprised me!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! So neon tetras then right? I wish I could do a nano reef! Too bad you can't put neons in salt water.

Back
Top Bottom