Hi I'm new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to the site been looking at this site for a couple of months now need a bit of advice on a few things I've got a 15 gal tank had for two months now got a decent filter and heater tank is 79 fht I have a male beeta 5 neon tetras 2 orange tetras 3 ghost shrimp the tank cycled properly had the water tested the place where I get my fish said it was fine i want to know if my tank is overstocked also feeding I use beeta pellets and flakes I put as much in as they'll eat in two minutes and occasionally blood worm the substrate I use is sand and 3 plastic plants there soft as not to harm my beeta and various ornaments just wanted to know if everything is ok with That I also have a 3 gallon tank with heater and filter it isent in use at the moment it's fully set up tho I was going to put my beeta in there if he dident like tank mates but they've been together 3 weeks now and everybody seems to get on also I think the 3 gal tank seems quite small so I'd only use if any one of the fish got sick I change a third of the water every two weeks any advice ?

The 3 gallon should be just fine for the betta. I would change at least 50% of the water weekly on the cycled tanks and would increase that to 50% every other day if the tank isn't cycled.

there both cycled don't use the smaller one at the moment because beeta is fine with others I'm going to use smaller tank if the shrimp breed or one fish becomes ill and cheers for a advice on water changes

Well, I would go ahead a move the beta fish because they usually( I'm stressing usually) don't do well with active tank members. You did well with the neons as schooling fish though and getting 5 I them. So the only thing that really concerns me is the 2 orange tetras. All tetras are school fish so 2 is way to low a number and a 15g dosen't have enough room for anthor school

I no I made a rookie mistake with tetras I asked in pet store if they schooled together he said yes but reading more about tetras same type stick together I got my 5 gal tank rdy and cycled for my beeta but for the last 3weeks to a month he's been fine but if anythink happens he'll be in the 3 gal I had my last beeta for two years

But I don't really want to get rid of orange tetras so I might get a couple more is the 3 gal enough for the beeta because he preety much was instantly happier when he went in big tank made a bubble nest preety much straight away

Awesome that your doing research. And it's alright, we all made mistakes. And it sounds like you have everything planned out for the betta

Thanks for the advice I only planned on getting a beeta but in the end wanted something else in the tank that's why I got tetras because I've read a lot of reviews of them getting on any advice on live plants for the tank I know I've got the right substrate but not to sure and what I've read so far quite confusing I got fake silk plants in there at the moment as not to hurt the beeta

Live plants are great. Though defiantly start with low plants like Anubis and java fern and you might Want to buy root tabs

No problem, though beware of duckweed. It'll grow crazy in any body of water and impossible to get rid of

Yep, just keep up good water quality as always. You can even tie it to driftwood and such to make a carpet of sorts

Back
Top Bottom