Hi. I'm new here and hope to meet other aquarium friends m

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite color Mystery Snai?

• Total voters

MicheleCar9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 Nano freshwater tanks. One has my 2 always hungry Glo-fish Lars&Larry. They've been through so much that it's amazing that they're alive.Lars is pink and Larry is orange. Larry hangs around the sponge filter and likes to be upside-down or sideways.While Lars loves attention and when I'm near the tank. There's 4 Mystery snails in with them. I'm trying to get my Betta fish in the tank. He's been in the cage with them for 2 days now.
I was in a accident last year and lost the use of my left arm from elbow to fingers. So it makes things a bit harder but I love watching everything. My bigger tank has 3 Cherry Barbs and a guppy. With White,Blue and Golden Mystery snails and 2 red shrimp that all survived a major brown snail slime take over. I was taking 50-100 of these pests out daily and they just kept coming back with a vengeance. I was told by the place where I bought the plants and snails that the brown snails don't hurt anything. Big lie.I've since learned the bleach trick with new plants. But they slimmed everything to death during my hospital stay. The killed off 2 clutches of Mystery snail babies.All plants except the one and the grass ll.:eek: :fish2: It took me 52 hours straight to clean up everything that lived which wasn't much. The big mystery snails were even covered in slime. It was horrible. But I think I have it all set now.Water is in range. I have not seen the 2 red shrimp since moving them.
My tanks mean a lot to me and it will be nice to talk with people who love they're tanks too. My friends don't understand why I put so much time into them. Hopefully this will help me friends to talk with.
I am a divorced, woman who just enjoys her Aquarium.
The 2nd picture is me.
The 1st is sideways 'again" It's mystery snails getting to know my Betta with Larry doing his sideways mode..

Attachments

• 20151212_173255.jpg
    20151212_173255.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150209_122624.jpg
    20150209_122624.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I'm glad you're here! I adore mystery snails ? Currently have two blues, a gold and a brown "black" one who was scraped up before I got him. He's more cautious than the others. What colors do you have?

How long is your betta going to be in jail? :( The other fish don't have flowy fins, which is a hallmark of competition for betta males, though I truly appreciate the cause for such a cautious approach. I wiped out half my tank with a careless and stupid mistake. We learn, we improve and our aquatic wards benefit.

I feel you on those smelly snails. I missed one and keep scanning my tank for any more. I'd get an assassin snail, but I like my Malaysian trumpet snails. :|

I had a gold mystery snail once! I tend not to get snails intentionally, because my favorite fish are loaches and they do horrible things to snails. My 55 gallon loach tank is a graveyard of pond snail shells. I like mystery snails too much to subject them to that. But a while back I had a 55 gallon goldfish tank with some mystery snails :)

Welcome to AA! :D

My Betta is out of jail and doing just fine. He loves having so much space and is no longer sitting on the bottom of his 1 gallon tank. I've heard that Bettas don't live long. He's my first and is pushing 4 years old. I have no idea how old he was when I took him out of Walmart. He's beautiful dark navy with the fancy fins..

Pond snails ruined all my tanks. Yes. They destroy everything. It's the slime eggs they leave everywhere that kills. I'm pretty upset with my vendor who didn't bother to tell me that this could happen but have to say they have the best prices on everything possible. Just need to bleach the plants. ..and watch out for any in the Java moss sent with the shrimp.

Why can't I respond to the classifieds adds? Do I have to pay for the year subscription? ? I need live plants badly as 90% of mine died during the major brown snail outbreak. .

15 days, 15 post waiting period for that entire section. It flies by and since you've mentioned it, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a couple of PMs. A plantless tank is near criminal :) I'm so glad he's out of jail! Happy days~

I just wasn't sure how the glo-fish would be with my Betta. But they seem all fine.
I'm trying to get living plants if anyone has any. Mine were mostly killed during the brown snails slime invasion. When I think of the 1000's of $'s I put into the tanks to be starting over because of bad advice on brown snails it makes me feel so sad..
Thank you to everyone who has been so nice. ..

What do loaches do? I've never seen one..lol.

They're kinda like catfish, except they evolved from the same group of fish as goldfish, barbs, etc; they're cypriniformes. They're a diverse group of fish but one group in particular, family Botiidae, have pointy snouts and love to eat snails! They're my favorite group of fish! But the smallest tank size for any loach is 10 gallons (most require at least 30), so I can see why you haven't had them.

Assassin snails kill the brown pond snails

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They definitely kill the good snails too.

A loach..yuk.lol...Assassin snail would have killed my baby mystery snails at the time. So that wasn't a option. But I no longer have a single brown snail in any of my tanks. I just need plants really bad. Ones that I can afford and if you go to snails I just posted the picture of my little shrimp on the back of my medium Golden Mystery snail. They're both upside-down it's not the picture. But my shrimp lost all his friends and is now looking to any tank mate to play with. So I'm really looking for shrimp too..if anyone sees anything PLEASE let me know. I've contacted all the classified ads and nobody has anything.
It's just sad for the little guy. He's loved to run around with his friends. A snail moves fast but not even close to how fast a shrimp is...
Thank you all for great responses. I love talking to fish people. My friends don't understand it at all so I can't talk to them. .lol..

I'm happy to get you started. But after a while you may need better advice. But I only know freshwater Nano living aquariums. Which is everything is living from plants to trees to fish,snails and shrimp.
But I have all sorts of stuff to help you start a small tank. If you need anything.
Nice to have you join..
Michele

Back
Top Bottom