Hi! I'm new here! Wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jennifer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlee7111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30gallon tank with 2 albino oscars and 1 jack Dempsey. All littles guys still, I'm just starting out. I've had fish tanks in the past. This is actually my smallest one but I live in a small apartment so its perfect for us right now.

Welcome! Unfortunately your tank is massively overstocked, all of those fish require a 55 all to themselves.. I would rehome them and start fresh;)

The woman at the fish store told me I had some time before I have to re-home them. I am moving in July and into a house and will be inheriting my mothers 200gallon tank. So they will be in a bigger home soon. Anyway I do have a question. How long after you do a water change should you check the PH and ammonia levels?? Before the water change they were both to high so I took out 45% of the water and am just curious. Please someone help me out here.

The woman at the fish store told me I had some time before I have to re-home them. I am moving in July and into a house and will be inheriting my mothers 200gallon tank. So they will be in a bigger home soon. Anyway I do have a question. How long after you do a water change should you check the PH and ammonia levels?? Before the water change they were both to high so I took out 45% of the water and am just curious. Please someone help me out here.
is this a new tank? Your true ph can be gathered 24 hrs after wc, you should test for amm before wc, say it's at 1 ppm you should do a 50% change to get it down to .5 and than another 30% to get it to safe levels. These oscars grow quick and make a huge mess, you should really take them back.. What do you have for filtration? Lfs employees are usually horrible in the advice department. They are yes people.. sales first..

It is a new tank. Since im used to bigger tanks, more fish. I was feeding them once a day thinkin that was ok but aparently the man at the fish store said thats probably what caused the levels to jump. I've had oscars in the past. I know how they are and how fast they grow. I'm not taking my fish back to the store they will be fine til I move, but thanks for your concern.

It is a new tank. Since im used to bigger tanks, more fish. I was feeding them once a day thinkin that was ok but aparently the man at the fish store said thats probably what caused the levels to jump. I've had oscars in the past. I know how they are and how fast they grow. I'm not taking my fish back to the store they will be fine til I move, but thanks for your concern.
sorry to jump in your post like that.. I just have a soft spot for oscars;) I'm sure you'll give then a great run!! Don't feed them hot dogs though.. As much as they want them it's a big nono..

Back
Top Bottom